Author Topic: The Iowan Path  (Read 314841 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: The Iowan Path
« Reply #450 on: September 15, 2014, 07:50:20 am »
Yep the temp has dropped off a bit.  The rc stands for radio control. Isaac and I went out and checked the pond last night on the way home I climbed an old stand that needed the straps replaced.  I am a little stiff this morning but in no pain so I think things a getting much better. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #451 on: September 15, 2014, 08:59:24 pm »
John, hope your back gets better and the pond looks great. That was a lot of work. Did I tell you the company I work for designs and builds earthen dams? :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #452 on: September 16, 2014, 09:14:39 pm »
John, hope your back gets better and the pond looks great. That was a lot of work. Did I tell you the company I work for designs and builds earthen dams? :)
Thanks Eddie. That's cool how big are the dams?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #453 on: September 16, 2014, 11:17:13 pm »
Real big. Some inpoundment areas are over 100 ' deep and 3 square miles. In some of the phosphate mining areas they are made out of all sand.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #454 on: September 17, 2014, 08:10:49 am »
Real big. Some inpoundment areas are over 100 ' deep and 3 square miles. In some of the phosphate mining areas they are made out of all sand.
Wow those are huge! No wonder you travel everwhere for work.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #455 on: September 17, 2014, 12:02:41 pm »
What the heck do you do for overflow release with an earthen dam made of sand? 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #456 on: September 17, 2014, 12:38:11 pm »
John, just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading this 31-page thread this morning. I wanted to learn something more about Iowa, as my daughter is working on her Ph.D. in genetics at ISU in Ames.
So many things to absorb here. First off, I found your art pieces fascinating and very lovely. Are you an art professor?
The pond work is most impressive. Until a year ago, I had five acres of pasture and timber land, and even with my little diesel Mahendra, cutting and processing oak and Pacific madrone was exhausting -- especially for an old get with two lumbar fusions. So I have great respect for all that you accomplished cutting, moving and processing timber near the dam.
Really look forward to seeing how your pond responds. I hope you bring it into balance much sooner than later.
As far as bowyering, you guys are so fortunate to be in osage country. Wow there are some nice staves and bows in this thread -- and some very, very fine knapping.
I am not much good at either, but hope to get back into it. Here in Oregon, we of course have our wonderful Pacific yew -- and hazel and vine maple as well. I cut a vine maple stave just a week or two ago -- first stave I have harvested in years.
I am also a two-hour drive from the Glass Buttes, which provide obsidian in a number of colors and which are the location for the annual Glass Buttes Knap-Ins in March.
Anyway, enough gab. Suffice it to say I will keep my eye on this thread and your fine bunch of friends.
Bill

Offline Chad

« Reply #457 on: September 18, 2014, 08:52:17 pm »
Came across this thread and very happy I did, awesome stuff. I wish I had something like this! Good luck to you!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #458 on: September 18, 2014, 09:06:24 pm »
I am really glad you enjoyed the post. I have a lot of great help bringing  this club together.
I am an Art Instructor so it fits well with whole primitive making part of this adventure. Thank you for the complements on my work I never know if people are going to really get the ideas or not.
It really  is so interesting to see the wide range of people who take the primitive path to archery. I have meet a lot of really great people on here.
Genetics wow what a great career for these times that is a very interesting and expanding career field!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #459 on: September 30, 2014, 08:31:14 pm »
Here is a picture of the first fish caught at the new pond. I had caught a bunch of fish from my small pond and put the in the new one. This is a great way to end the summer.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #460 on: September 30, 2014, 08:34:14 pm »
John, is that a small mouth? nice one if it is.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #461 on: October 02, 2014, 12:46:55 pm »
Haven't caught up on here in awhile, John.  Sorry to read about your back, hope you will be mending quickly now.
Fun to see the progress.  Looks like you've accomplished a lot, none the less.

Hope to see some nice fall pictures on here!
1’—>1’

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #462 on: October 02, 2014, 05:15:02 pm »
What a wonderful environment you've created!  Catch looks enticing too.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline chamookman

« Reply #463 on: October 03, 2014, 05:15:04 am »
That would be a Largemouth Bass. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #464 on: October 03, 2014, 05:36:21 am »
Very nice catch,love to have a pond like that on my place. :) I got one but much smaller. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good