Author Topic: The Iowan Path  (Read 314849 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: The Iowan Path
« Reply #465 on: October 07, 2014, 08:01:18 am »
Thanks guys happy to see the pond supporting fish again.

Check out this little guy I saw on my way home from work. Must be this year's pup.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #466 on: October 07, 2014, 08:05:07 am »
Nice picture, corn still green up that way ? most down here is already picked. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh B

« Reply #467 on: October 07, 2014, 11:22:48 pm »
Cool stuff John!  Glad to hear your back is on the mend!  Josh

Offline iowabow

« Reply #468 on: October 09, 2014, 02:13:44 am »
Thanks Josh. My back was killing me in the stand the other day so I switched to just sitting in a lawn chair off the side of deer trails. I went to the pond and hunted the road we made for the tractor . I sat right in the open and when this buck walked up I loose my arrow just as he turned to run. It went into the femoral artery and he only made it 40 yards. My camera was dead so no photos of the setup but here are a couple of the deer and arrowhead I hit it with. The larger arrowhead I  used to field dressed it with. He was a very large 4 pt.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 02:19:48 am by iowabow »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #469 on: October 09, 2014, 06:00:12 am »
 Congrats,Very nice deer,got to love that femoral,it will put um down in a hurry. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #470 on: October 09, 2014, 09:17:59 am »
Congrats!  Your back musta been thankful it didn't have to help hang that deer up.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #471 on: October 09, 2014, 12:01:56 pm »
Remember a few years back all those stories Farmer John told us about shot after shot after shot and him never connecting with a deer?  That man planted more arrows on his land than any other farmer in Iowa planted corn!

Yeah, well, now he comes up with some cockamamey story about hitting this deer in the femoral artery.  FROM A FLIPPIN' LAWN CHAIR ON THE SIDE OF THE TRAIL!!!!  Here's ol' Farmer John sitting in a lawn chair, beach umbrella at the table beside him.  In his left hand is his osage bow and in his right is one of them drinks they serve in a coconut shell with umbrellas and skewers loaded with tropical fruit and what-have-you.  Probably listening to Jimmy Buffett, too.

Now we are supposed to believe that he was able to put down his boat drink, nock an arrow and in one smooth motion draw, release, and clip the femoral artery that was only a half inch wide??? 

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I have another theory!  I am betting that he was half asleep in his lawn chair in the yard where his lovely wife (the one that is capable of bringing home LARGE deer racks, mind you) had brought him a cocktail.  He was half thru the drink when the deer wandered out of the treeline where John has spent years strewing arrows at random.  The poor animal had the bad misfortune of walking into one of those arrows and it had stabbed him in the leg.  He just happened to bleed out 40 yds from Farmer John. 

Mind you, this is one of MANY possible scenarios that I offer for your consideration.  The OP (original poster) is welcome to deny all he wants, he may stick to his guns on his own story, but I leave it up to you, the reader, to decide which is the true account.  The defense rests.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #472 on: October 09, 2014, 01:17:19 pm »

Don't let them brow beat you John.  At least you tell of your misses, and mistakes, Others, such as that pseudo lawyer, harping to the jury, probably just keep their mouths shut, and not let others learn from their mistakes.  congrats on darn nice sized deer!  That would have made for a real wall hanger, in a few more years, but much more tender, and tasty now.  When you were painting your post hole auger, I thought at first you had yard art.  I was going to suggest that you put big eyes on it, and some long skinny wings.  Sort of a big yard skeeter.  Nice pond, and nice deer.  You have a very nice place there.  As for the lawn chair, that is fine, as there are others who hunt from them also.  There was a guy in Montana who brought a folding aluminum lawn chair with him, when he hunted, and he killed quite a few deer, and elk.  I guess they thought he was an Eco tourist, and no threat.  One of our Medics hunted in South Carolina at a small farm his Girlfriend's Brother had, and her Brother had been trying to get this particular buck for a couple of years, and had all the latest camo, all the non scent soap items, etc.  The Medic gets directed to a stand, and his Girlfriend's brother goes off to get that big buck, he had been scouting for the last week or so.  Well the Medic goes to the stand, sits for a while, climbs down, takes a dump, goes back up the stand, smokes a cigarette, and five minutes later kills the big buck his Girlfriend's Brother had been after all those years.  So sometimes it is the opposite of what we have been taught, that gets good results. ;)
                                    Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #473 on: October 09, 2014, 04:35:08 pm »

Don't let them brow beat you John.  At least you tell of your misses, and mistakes, Others, such as that pseudo lawyer, harping to the jury, probably just keep their mouths shut, and not let others learn from their mistakes.  congrats on darn nice sized deer! 

Probably jealous because he didn't draw ANY tags this year.

All kidding aside, Wayne points out the glaring truth behind John's buck....that's the wild card opportunity.  Face it, those deer are not watching the hunting shows or reading the books/magazines that the hunter pores over every night. 

Look at it this way: YOUR bow, YOUR arrows, YOUR lawnchair, YOUR land, YOUR opportunity.  Like we talked last night when you were bringing the deer in, maybe it was the treestands that were your problem! 

Offline iowabow

« Reply #474 on: October 09, 2014, 06:23:28 pm »
Jw you are the funnest man alive hands down. I think those deer are so use to my scent after working out there for a whole year that he thought nothing of my presents until he saw me. You are likely right about the tree stand and I never had that heart race thing going like in the past.  Got love the work a stone point can do! I did do the opposite of anyway I ever hunt. Maybe that just messed up their game.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #475 on: October 09, 2014, 09:19:21 pm »
You messed up his game!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #476 on: October 09, 2014, 11:30:10 pm »
Congratulations John!  He'll make some fine table fare!  Josh

Offline iowabow

« Reply #477 on: October 10, 2014, 12:25:19 am »

Don't let them brow beat you John.  At least you tell of your misses, and mistakes, Others, such as that pseudo lawyer, harping to the jury, probably just keep their mouths shut, and not let others learn from their mistakes.  congrats on darn nice sized deer!  That would have made for a real wall hanger, in a few more years, but much more tender, and tasty now.  When you were painting your post hole auger, I thought at first you had yard art.  I was going to suggest that you put big eyes on it, and some long skinny wings.  Sort of a big yard skeeter.  Nice pond, and nice deer.  You have a very nice place there.  As for the lawn chair, that is fine, as there are others who hunt from them also.  There was a guy in Montana who brought a folding aluminum lawn chair with him, when he hunted, and he killed quite a few deer, and elk.  I guess they thought he was an Eco tourist, and no threat.  One of our Medics hunted in South Carolina at a small farm his Girlfriend's Brother had, and her Brother had been trying to get this particular buck for a couple of years, and had all the latest camo, all the non scent soap items, etc.  The Medic gets directed to a stand, and his Girlfriend's brother goes off to get that big buck, he had been scouting for the last week or so.  Well the Medic goes to the stand, sits for a while, climbs down, takes a dump, goes back up the stand, smokes a cigarette, and five minutes later kills the big buck his Girlfriend's Brother had been after all those years.  So sometimes it is the opposite of what we have been taught, that gets good results. ;)
                                    Wayne
Thanks Wayne you're hired as my council in the future.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 07:40:19 am by iowabow »

Offline stickbender

« Reply #478 on: October 10, 2014, 02:50:30 am »

Thanks Wayne you hired as my council in the future.
[/quote]
You might consider ol J.W., he can put a spin on just about anything.  Rumor has it, that hillary ( the B@#ch who would be queen) is trying to get him on her spin team, to push Benghazi under the rug.  he must have developed that skill, by trying to get funding for his bird group, by sweet talking to rich widder women.  ::) :P  Again, nice buck, no matter how you got it, you got it.   And that is what matters in the freezer section!  ;)

Wayne

Offline iowabow

« Reply #479 on: October 11, 2014, 01:03:45 am »
Flint knapping at the historical society