Author Topic: The Iowan Path  (Read 314808 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: The Iowan Path
« Reply #645 on: December 11, 2015, 08:57:57 pm »
I'm gonna guess here and say your shed might be 25'X15'?10' headers?Plenty of room to play in.....lol.I need to put up 1 more shed here too someday.
I've gone cheap before on screwguns and it's a pain.Especially if you really gotta make them work.Constantly going dead batteries are a pain.I was and still am going to buy the old millwaulkie screwgun package.When we built here I was impressed by them.They are'nt cheap.Let the word out for Christmas....lol.
You've got enourmous potential with your place there which I'm sure you know and are doing.
I keep regretting not going off the grid with solar power.Getting a little long in the tooth to make it feasible.Iowa has a whole lot of that going on.
That's nice of you to say that about me but your interests and artistic ability are setting new standards for everybody.That's what's cool about this site.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline iowabow

« Reply #646 on: December 12, 2015, 05:08:28 am »
I'm gonna guess here and say your shed might be 25'X15'?10' headers?Plenty of room to play in.....lol.I need to put up 1 more shed here too someday.
I've gone cheap before on screwguns and it's a pain.Especially if you really gotta make them work.Constantly going dead batteries are a pain.I was and still am going to buy the old millwaulkie screwgun package.When we built here I was impressed by them.They are'nt cheap.Let the word out for Christmas....lol.
You've got enourmous potential with your place there which I'm sure you know and are doing.
I keep regretting not going off the grid with solar power.Getting a little long in the tooth to make it feasible.Iowa has a whole lot of that going on.
That's nice of you to say that about me but your interests and artistic ability are setting new standards for everybody.That's what's cool about this site.
close 20x24 headers 10 I am getting closers to tin time. I just might squeeze into a finished building before this cold front comes through if the metal arrives on time. If it does not I will be working in 37 degree weather late in the day after the frost melts. I don't like climbing on icy lumber.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:11:49 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #647 on: December 12, 2015, 01:50:51 pm »

Yup, building off each other's contributions, learning from other's mistakes (and being willing to share those mistakes fearlessly), and standing shoulder to shoulder in this odd and unusual anachronistic lifestyle in a world that increasingly wants the easy way out. Yup.  You said a mouthful, Ed.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #648 on: December 15, 2015, 07:38:35 pm »
Another update. The Lumber yard loaded the wrong material I only figured it out after we set out the remaining wood to make sure things were working. So we had to stop and make a trip to the  lumber yard but managed to get facia boards up on one side. Other good news the order of tin is in so looks like sat morning after we hunt the party is going to put up the tin. We should finish gables on Sunday before gail winds on monday

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #649 on: December 16, 2015, 04:16:19 am »
Looks like you are moving right along, hope you get it all closed in before winter but what the heck I always like working in cold weather, get a little fire going and Life is good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #650 on: December 17, 2015, 05:00:16 pm »
Hopefully we will be almost done Saturday. We are going to hunt rabbits at 7 am then move to putting up tin once it warms up a bit. Thought I was done with all the woodworking but still have gables ends to frame out.
Anyway tomorrow is my first day of vacation so i should get the gables done and then pick up tin and accessories at the lumberyard.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #651 on: December 17, 2015, 06:02:28 pm »
Your a good boss John...Mixing a little fun with work.
BowEd
Ed

Offline iowabow

« Reply #652 on: December 19, 2015, 06:31:31 pm »
Crazy day started a 3:30 am  doing final calculations on the material I picked up and found some major shortages. I was short 4 panels from the material bill and other tin not included. So we worked with what we had untill sunset. The extra material will not be in till Tuesday so I think I am just going to relax. I am not good with just doing nothing so maybe this is a blessing. After loading the truck and eating breakfast the guys started showing up to rabbit hunt. We kicked up alot of rabbits but for many funny reasons we all missed. Then we started work on the building and worked the rest of the day. We were able to get all the tin panels on hand up.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #653 on: December 19, 2015, 06:32:48 pm »
Forgot to mention craig showed up with arrows he made for each of us.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #654 on: December 19, 2015, 10:02:14 pm »
Looking good John. Mixing work and play is good for both.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #655 on: December 21, 2015, 04:49:41 am »
John that is looking very good, hate it when I want to finish something and come up short. I have had that happen to many times to count. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #656 on: December 22, 2015, 09:16:25 pm »
Yep...I bet your a liking that shed more and more are'nt ya?Just wait till the weather gets nice.
BowEd
Ed

Offline iowabow

« Reply #657 on: December 23, 2015, 05:55:33 am »
Can ya see that dog in the shelter? He is the family pet next door to 5 wonder kids and he let's them jump all over him and he seems like a very nice dog... but he has an illness! He has a sticky mouth.
I thought I was getting really tired and forgetful as my tools seemed to always be in a different location. What was happening was he would wait untill I climbed to the roof top and when I was not looking he would carry my tools into the woods and this is the list of what he lifted yesterday: my 2 bottles of water he got off the picnic table, the battery to my drill, the tape measure, a new package of drills. His name is Goose but I have renamed him Jesse James.
The tin came in yesterday and we got the roof tin all up. I also got the raking corners on one side.
After deer hunting this morning I am going to install the corners on the other side . Maybe the Ridge cap can go on as well. In the photo you can see a half wall for tillering bows.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:01:18 am by iowabow »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #658 on: December 23, 2015, 06:25:25 am »
Good luck this morning. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #659 on: December 23, 2015, 05:00:27 pm »
Got heavy rain this morning hunting came home dried off and had another breakfast.  The rain stopped so Isaac and I installed the raking corners and went to lunch. The roof dried kinda so I climbed top side a installed the ridge cap and now we have a roof. Came down off the ladder from the peak and then it started raining. Forgot to add it was 63 degrees today in iowa.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 05:21:52 pm by iowabow »