Author Topic: The Iowan Path  (Read 314838 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: The Iowan Path
« Reply #840 on: October 01, 2016, 08:57:49 am »
Gregory Malone came down from Des Moline to do a blacksmithing demonstration during a session held our at the site for the Art Educators of Iowa conference. I did a little Raku thing and we had a welder doing a demo also. This gave me a chance to see how people would flow in the space.
Gergrory is a pretty cool guy in addition to his blacksmith stuff he is a knapper.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #841 on: October 01, 2016, 09:03:42 am »
This Bill White guy was amazing with his foot operated welder. He made dragon sculptures during the event.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #842 on: October 01, 2016, 09:14:07 am »
The lady on the left is lillian she is a pretty cool potter and says things the way it is lol.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #843 on: October 01, 2016, 10:05:59 am »
Cool....Looks like you got 220!!!Many more memories to come I'm sure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline iowabow

« Reply #844 on: October 01, 2016, 10:35:25 am »
Ed I think we had about 90.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #845 on: October 06, 2016, 05:20:06 am »
Looks like the place is working out well, the more you do the more you will figure out how to accommodate more folks. You have a very very good start, much better than our beginnings at TwinOaks. ;) :) I am very impressed. :) I could tell when I first meet you , you were a planner and would think things through, I ant and just fly by the seat of my pants. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #846 on: October 06, 2016, 08:09:03 am »
Looks like the place is working out well, the more you do the more you will figure out how to accommodate more folks. You have a very very good start, much better than our beginnings at TwinOaks. ;) :) I am very impressed. :) I could tell when I first meet you , you were a planner and would think things through, I ant and just fly by the seat of my pants. ;) :)
 Pappy
In my case I had the benifit of your setup. I think you can see elements of twinoaks in the design. The one thing that surprised me when we talked was gravel. This becomes a real expense even on a small scale as I have found out. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #847 on: October 06, 2016, 08:57:41 am »
Yep, baby steps, you have to start with what you have to have and then add a little every year. We started out with one small single drive from the road to the cabin door then just added each year, we still add each year as we see more of what we need. We have grown every year and thank goodness it has been a gradual growth,[ been there 26 years this year] so each time we have an event we can see what we need to do to make it more manageable. Their has been a lot of adding to and some redo's over the years as we see our needs. Not sure of you plans but if you plan on putting on events and do a quality job as I am sure you will ,you have to keep in mind growth, because it will grow. ;) :) Some say we look like a well oiled machine at our events, but if they only knew what goes on behind the scenes, total chaos most of the time  ;) you just have to make it look like it isn't.  ;) :) Again you have a very good start and looking for big things out of that place. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #848 on: October 06, 2016, 03:03:28 pm »
Yep, baby steps, you have to start with what you have to have and then add a little every year. We started out with one small single drive from the road to the cabin door then just added each year, we still add each year as we see more of what we need. We have grown every year and thank goodness it has been a gradual growth,[ been there 26 years this year] so each time we have an event we can see what we need to do to make it more manageable. Their has been a lot of adding to and some redo's over the years as we see our needs. Not sure of you plans but if you plan on putting on events and do a quality job as I am sure you will ,you have to keep in mind growth, because it will grow. ;) :) Some say we look like a well oiled machine at our events, but if they only knew what goes on behind the scenes, total chaos most of the time  ;) you just have to make it look like it isn't.  ;) :) Again you have a very good start and looking for big things out of that place. ;)
 Pappy

Ducks on a pond.  From above water, peaceful and graceful, simply beautiful.  From underwater, paddling like a whole marching band of banjos started playing "Dueling Banjoes" on your canoe trip.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #849 on: October 06, 2016, 05:25:42 pm »
nice to see you can finally enjoy the place a little. looks great Iowabow, you should be very proud. I'm sure you will do good things there
bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline iowabow

« Reply #850 on: October 06, 2016, 11:32:34 pm »
nice to see you can finally enjoy the place a little. looks great Iowabow, you should be very proud. I'm sure you will do good things there
bjrogg
thanks, we are getting a little rain and that should help the grass and also bring some cooler temps. I think i will start hitting the woods next week.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #851 on: October 07, 2016, 09:37:41 am »
I meant 220 volt for a welder.Your time clock is working out for ya.Nice to see it come along like that for people including yourself to enjoy.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Parnell

« Reply #852 on: October 07, 2016, 09:57:01 am »
Very pleased for you all John.  Looks like it was a great event.
1’—>1’

Offline iowabow

« Reply #853 on: October 07, 2016, 11:12:31 am »
I meant 220 volt for a welder.Your time clock is working out for ya.Nice to see it come along like that for people including yourself to enjoy.
yes  on the 220 lol.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #854 on: October 07, 2016, 11:30:21 am »
yes  on the 220 lol.

220, 221, whatever it takes.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.