Author Topic: heat treating an already skinned bow  (Read 3217 times)

Offline echatham

heat treating an already skinned bow
« on: December 17, 2013, 11:18:39 am »
just got done reading the tbb chapter on heat treating, and i got a bow that i think id like to improve upon.  its a very nice looking osage bow with copper head skins.  its got a couple inches of string follow and came out lighter than i wanted.  it also has a little bit of washboard effect on the belly, caused by scrapers and layers of early wood.  id like to sand the belly smooth, hold it in a little bit of reflex and toast the belly just to see how it comes out.  but im afraid it will ruin the skins.  skins are glued on with white wood glue if that makes a difference.  anyone done this on a skinned bow?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: heat treating an already skinned bow
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 11:31:44 am »
Peel the skins off and do it right. You cant leave them on. You might be surprised how easily the skins peel off. Often they can be re-used. Take your time and peel it off slowly touching sticking spots with a straight edge razor.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:51:47 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline echatham

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 11:55:03 am »
hmm... peel em off ehh?  sounds like i need to really be comitted  ::)

btw Pearly i just got done voting over at BOM.  let me just say you make the bows i want to make  ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 12:15:45 pm »
There is often a thin white colored layer on the inside of skins. It will separate from the skin and stay glued to the bow. Ive done it twice and it worked for me.

Thanks for your kind words.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline echatham

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 12:19:08 pm »
think ill give it a try.  ive been itching for something to do while i wait on wood to dry.
hey that rhymes  ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 12:32:42 pm »
If your like me? A bow you wont shoot is worthless, make it better or at least learn from it trying.

Offline echatham

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 12:47:39 pm »
good point.  was thinkin of gifting it to my sister, but she's living in a Navy barracks for the next couple years and can't keep it there.  can't be having out military members having weapons now can we.  ::)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 07:13:44 pm »
Really PD, You can recycle skins?? 
I've got one that has got about 4 coats of true oil over them that were glued down with TBII or maybe III.  Can they be peeled?

echatham....did your skins have any finish over them?  If not, I can see how wetting them down if they were glue with a water soluble wood glue would help.

Would love to here more about this
Thanks
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 12:22:06 am »
Eric,
Leave copper alone!!  It was one of your firsts and you'll regret it later, especially if you mess it up.   I know what your trying to do but it isn't going to work like you think and it's not worth it or really doable at this point, I think!  Just my opinion.  That bow will more than kill a deer( or a kids toy horse!). Just smoke one through the heart and hang it on the wall.  It's a progression thing.  Don't go back and try to make an older bow better right now.  Just keep em as a trophy or momento of your ever changing skills.  You and hopefully others will appreciate that someday.  Matt

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 03:18:28 am »
I have actually heat-treated rawhide backed bows glued with TB3 no problem. Was surprised skins didn't come off..
Frank from Germany...

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 07:31:50 am »

btw Pearly i just got done voting over at BOM.  let me just say you make the bows i want to make  ;)

You don't wanna be making bows like that..trust me I know cus I have two of his bows  >:D  :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 08:46:46 am »
Really PD, You can recycle skins?? 
I've got one that has got about 4 coats of true oil over them that were glued down with TBII or maybe III.  Can they be peeled?

Thanks
DBar

Yup, twice Bill. I use TB111 on mine. Keep in mind they aren't all the same. Some don't have that layer of inner skin, or maybe the glue soaked through it? Im 2 for 4 on removing them. But a skinless shooter is better than a pretty junker any day!

Offline echatham

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 09:44:52 am »
haha Matt you are probably right.  you know how i am when i get to drinkin and thinkin ;D.  Don't worry i won't do anything rash. 

Danzn Bar they got 5 coats of tru-oil. 

Blackhawk i suppose i could live with myself if i made one of your bows too  ;D   as long as it wasn't 7 feet long with a cut-out shelf!  ;D >:D

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 08:51:06 pm »
Thanks PD and ech...I think I'm going to try some recycling.
Thanks,
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking