Author Topic: Thebes?  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Thebes?
« on: December 17, 2013, 05:28:34 pm »
Here is a  Thebes style point that I did today. When I try an get the single bevel on each edge it is easy to lose symentry due to the twist :o  Thanks for looking an critque is always welcome. Thanks Bob

Offline Dalton Knapper

Re: Thebes?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 05:58:11 pm »
If yours is intended not to be a resharpened example, there would be no beveling, but yours has the perfect shape for one that was resharpened IMHO. Some had straight notches, some curve up and some are the "E" notch. There are a lot of variations (Flint Blades and Projectile Points of the North American Indian - Tully - P 207-208).

Looks very nice to me.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 06:50:18 pm »
Nice point Bob.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 08:39:02 pm »
Dalton Knapper, I tried for the resharpened look. It is hard to see my bevels on the light colored stone and my poor photography skills. :( Thanks Bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 08:46:42 pm »
I like it, Bob, it looks like one to me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 11:57:02 pm »
Per what I have seen in my "book" examples....you have the beveled (re-sharpened) form down absolutely right. I just could not tell exactly what you were going for from the pictures and text until you made it clear...I suspected a resharpened form, but I was not positive. The "new" forms have a slightly more rounded tip/sides and the sides lack the gentile recurved edges. You have it absolutely right as far as I can tell.........Great job. It is always difficult to produce a resharpened form of any age point, but I think you did a great job. Beveled points are always difficult to replicate since we don't go through the wear and resharpening over time and have to simulate the wear and resharpening in the initial knapping process. ...if that makes sense.....Regardless of my communication skills......GREAT JOB!!!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 02:26:24 am »
Very nice point BOB!!  From what I see it is right on the money.  If anyone knows what the variations of the thebes point it is Bob!  I guess I can't make fun about notches being deep this time ;)....happy holidays Bob!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 05:14:50 am »
Looks like you nailed it.  I could tell more if it was my hand in the picture!  ;) Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 09:19:53 am »
All I can say about it is that's a nice point :)
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 09:25:20 am »
Me like Bob :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 10:36:25 am »
nailed it
Bone
Venice Florida