Author Topic: Christmas exchange rock...  (Read 3594 times)

Offline 1442

Re: Christmas exchange rock...
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 03:14:34 am »
Heres some more:
This first pic is a flat tab of another type of killer
The second pic is a small piece I just had to try out.
It flaked like a dream. I had it going real well but neaded a flake to travel from midway on one edge into the base area to under cut some crumbled area there and I hit too far in and broke it.
I have found my new favorite rock to knap for a while though. If heat made that rock any better I don't think I could stand it.
I had to pry myself away after that. I am working on my christmas exchange gift, but Man! I sure was tempted to get another rock and go at it.
THANKS! Knapperhead. You fixed me up with some KILLER rocks. MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone.
                                                                                 Terry

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 08:05:23 am »
I hate when that happens >:(. That stuff aught to knap like butter after roasting. Good luck.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 11:33:38 am »
Glad you like it Terry. That stuffs pretty grainy and will make your hand numb if you hit wrong but it will cook nicely. I usually heat it to 250 in the sand for 24 hrs and then 400-450 for 24 hrs. I've had to cook some of it twice but it finally slicked up.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 05:21:26 am »
Cool looking stone and yeah I hate when that happens too!  I made on of the thinnest blades from argillite  and I made a huge mistake dropping it and it snapped..I might have put the 2 ieces in the box I sent Cowboy... I could have made 2 points from it but wanted to show that it can be done.. So far looks like folks are doing well wit the exchange!  Looking forward to seeing some results!  Also what Cowboy can do with what OUTBACKBOB calls LEAVERITE stone.. leave er right there..lol

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill