Author Topic: Long Bows Rule and Shortbows Drool(all over the place)  (Read 16611 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Long Bows Rule and Shortbows Drool(all over the place)
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 11:55:13 am »
All fun and games until someone gets their short feelings hurt or shoots their eye out... ::)

Short bows need loving also...
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Parnell

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 12:05:13 pm »
Hey now, I love me a short bow.  They feel good in the hand, probably better than "long" bows when carrying them around.

Hard to contest the shooting aspect, though.  I've learned to shoot with stack, respectably, but there is a point to be made that if you were forced to shoot an apple off your son's head...what would you choose?
1’—>1’

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 12:05:33 pm »
Everyone knows its not about how long your bow is... its about how wide  >:D

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 12:07:21 pm »
Hey now, I love me a short bow.  They feel good in the hand, probably better than "long" bows when carrying them around.

Hard to contest the shooting aspect, though.  I've learned to shoot with stack, respectably, but there is a point to be made that if you were forced to shoot an apple off your son's head...what would you choose?

Depends on the son...

Offline Parnell

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2013, 12:09:56 pm »
AND, Lord knows, not that I'm looking to side with CHICKENHAWK!!! ;) ;D
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 12:11:07 pm »

Depends on the son...

Ha!
1’—>1’

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 12:35:06 pm »
I have to agree with BH. I started with a Kodiak Magnum in the early 80's. Since then 62" is about the shortest I will go. Currently working on a 72" Hickory bow. I have hunted all over the world, in all kinds of terrain and vegitation. Even in thick cover I prefer a longer bow. I have never hunted from a tree, as I am not a bird, and can only speak from exerience when I say a longer bow in thicker cover makes Me more mindful of My stalk on game....JMHO
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 12:57:30 pm »
i love em both, i can shoot my shortie accurately at 15(most of the time) but when i just feel like shooting and not paying too much attention to my form and stuff then a long bow is better. so basically my long bows are for when im lazy.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 01:30:41 pm »
All you have do is deflex the handle and reflex the tips and a short bow is every bit as forgiving and smooth as a longer bow. At least that's what I heard 5000 times over......:)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Will H

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 01:41:05 pm »
I agree BH, I like a longer bow for sure.

On another note, there sure is a lot of hating going on for tree stand hunters.  :'( I love hunting from modern tree stands with my wood bows of a somewhat modern design and modern strings. But then again I like killin deer and feeding my modern family... Just sayin. And pine nut, I ain't no sissy either ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Badger

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 01:42:04 pm »
  Mark makes quite a few short deflex reflex recurves that do shoot very smooth. Recurves can be quite a bit shorter than a long bow and shoot just as smooth. I just finished a 58" recurve that feels like a 68" longbow. I just prefer the traditional style longbows as apersonnal thing.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 01:53:38 pm »
I agree BH, I like a longer bow for sure.

On another note, there sure is a lot of hating going on for tree stand hunters.  :'( I love hunting from modern tree stands with my wood bows of a somewhat modern design and modern strings. But then again I like killin deer and feeding my modern family... Just sayin. And pine nut, I ain't no sissy either ;)
I would bet treestands were used in the past
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2013, 02:27:43 pm »
  Mark makes quite a few short deflex reflex recurves that do shoot very smooth. Recurves can be quite a bit shorter than a long bow and shoot just as smooth. I just finished a 58" recurve that feels like a 68" longbow. I just prefer the traditional style longbows as apersonnal thing.

I was just picking on Mr Wishy Washy that started this whole debacle! 6 months ago the guy had no use for anything over 40" long! Now its all about 96" bows! Kids................:)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2013, 02:30:29 pm »
I agree, if you aren't shooting from a horse,  yew longbows are the pinnacle of archery  ;)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Will H

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2013, 02:32:10 pm »
I agree Iowabow, I've always thought that. Our ancestors probably just perched on a limb :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"