Author Topic: Whistling Walnut!  (Read 7000 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Whistling Walnut!
« on: December 28, 2013, 08:34:53 am »
Dunno where to post this festive frolic. :laugh:
I made a whistling arrow from a Walnut shell, tested from a little Osage bow into my garage, more in hope than expectation.
Have a look here to see hear if it worked!
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/whistling-walnut.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

Re: Whistling Walnut!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 09:18:11 am »
  That was pretty cool.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 09:31:02 am »
Cheers ...
I was wondering how they got invented?
Maybe some Neolithic guy bound on a shell like that to make a birding arrow, maybe it got damaged and whistled.
Being just like us, he'd have kept that arrow for shooting over his mates heads to scare the cr4p out of 'em >:D
Del

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 09:38:24 am »
  Del,  That is interesting, never seen one made out of nut shell. Wouldn't be good for hunting though, could you imagine the reaction from a squirrel :o
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 11:36:59 am »
That's interesting! ;)

Del,  That is interesting, never seen one made out of nut shell. Wouldn't be good for hunting though, could you imagine the reaction from a squirrel :o

I don't know Donald, that may be the solution to squirrel hunting. Instead of the squirrel jumping out of the way of an arrow, it jumps in the way of the nut. Surprise, surprise ;D.........Art

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 11:40:30 am »
Very cool and it might actually cause the squirrel to freeze in place.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 02:52:54 pm »
That is a cool whistling arrow, Del.   I've heard of whistling used for rabbit and duck hunting. The whistle mimics a hawk screech and the rabbit stops so he blends in. That's when you get the kill shot.   For duck, they  land on the water when they hear the whistle and a skipping arrow is used to skip across the water to hit the duck. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 03:09:29 pm »
I didn't get far into this thread before a small movie short began to play in my mind.  It was a combination of live action and cartoon, starring Del and Skrat, the saber-toothed squirrel from the Ice Age movies.  Needless to say, it was well worth the price of admission.

After the credits roll, there is an extra scene.  Picture Del's living room, Skrat's head on a polished walnut plaque hangs on the wall.  Del in his slippers, a velvet smoking jacket and pipe, sitting in an expansive wingback chair reading a posh English hunting magazine.  Enter his wife putting up some Christmas decorations.  She sets down a festive bowl of mixed nuts at his elbow.  Camera pans slowly to Skrat's mounted head.  The glass eyes widen slightly and the pupils expand slowly to cover the whole eye.....slow fade to black as ominous music swells.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 04:51:12 pm »
I didn't get far into this thread before a small movie short began to play in my mind.  It was a combination of live action and cartoon, starring Del and Skrat, the saber-toothed squirrel from the Ice Age movies.  Needless to say, it was well worth the price of admission.

After the credits roll, there is an extra scene.  Picture Del's living room, Skrat's head on a polished walnut plaque hangs on the wall.  Del in his slippers, a velvet smoking jacket and pipe, sitting in an expansive wingback chair reading a posh English hunting magazine.  Enter his wife putting up some Christmas decorations.  She sets down a festive bowl of mixed nuts at his elbow.  Camera pans slowly to Skrat's mounted head.  The glass eyes widen slightly and the pupils expand slowly to cover the whole eye.....slow fade to black as ominous music swells.
:laugh:...
Damn, how did you know all that? Have you got a spy cam or summat? :o
Del

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 05:42:32 pm »
Me and Mrs. the Cat had a lovely chat the other day over tea.  >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 05:59:31 pm »
     Why Sir Robin of Loxley came up with the idea!  haven't you seen the scene where there is a whistling arrow sound, and then a thud, and there quivering on a picnic table, in Robin Hood's encampment, is an arrow?  And on the arrow is a note, warning of the Sheriff of Nottingham, entering the forest.  Sheesh! :P  don't you guys know history?!! ::) Watch the original Robin Hood!  ;)  By the way, just as a note of historical significance, There was a special on Errol Flynn, that had the fencing instructor for the movie, being interviewed, and when questioned as to just how good Errol Flynn was at fencing, the fencing instructor, said, if he had pursued it, he could have been an Olympic champion!

Wayne
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:11:33 pm by stickbender »

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 09:24:14 pm »
I always wondered what would happen if you left two nuts alone in garage for to long.   :o

( one ends up shooting the other)  >:D
Steve Bennett

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 11:06:08 am »
  Steve, Pat and Caveman you are correct. I've spent a lot of time in the woods watching critters while waiting on the invisible deer to appear. Almost every time a hawk whistles (high pitch screech) everything will freeze, especially squirrels. Dale's arrow is a primitive nutter... >:D Lets see, I think somewhere around here there's a few Christmas walnuts left... ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 11:17:28 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 12:54:52 pm »
Well, thanks a lot Mr. the Cat. My vaction day for New Year's is ruined. I can't imagine doing anything else but making nut whistlers now! I have a pack of young "merry men (and girls)" around the neighborhood they are going to have a blast with this one!

Mark

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 01:24:23 pm »
I'm thinking a quiver full of these with LED nocks would be perfect for the night time target shooting range at MOJAM next year...  ;)  I dare ya to try to sleep while a few hundred of these are whizzing about on the range!!!

OneBow
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:16:01 pm by Onebowonder »