Author Topic: Buzzards are Just Nasty  (Read 4659 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Buzzards are Just Nasty
« on: December 28, 2013, 04:51:39 pm »
This is what I spent the majority of the day filming.  Why? well, I'm not really sure why but I thought it was pretty cool.  Now tell me why the turkey vultures wouldn't join in.

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Buzzards are Just Nasty
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 05:42:46 pm »
Natures clean up crew. Thank goodness we have vultures!  Did they leave ant interesting parts to the snapping turtle, Tim, like claws.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 06:03:07 pm »
Aw cool! Black vultures!  We don't have them up here, sorry to say.  They are suspected to be even smarter than turkey vultures. 

In India they commonly doctor cows with a strong pain medication in their old age.  This compound stays in the tissue and when vultures eat the meat they die almost immediately from the toxicity. 98% of the vultures in India are gone and the rates of disease all over the country are skyrocketing.  Things like rabies are linked to low vulture populations because other scavengers are booming, wild dogs-rats-etc....rabies carriers! 

Yeah, I'm a little off in this department, but I love me some vultures!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 06:16:32 pm »
love the pic.thanks Tim for the look.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 06:38:54 pm »
Caption contest?

1)  "Hey! Did you know turtles have 27 different kinds of meat?"

2)  Leonardo DeVultures "The Last Supper"

3)  After winning the race with the notorious grudge holding hare, the tortoise died under mysterious circumstances.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 06:58:27 pm »
I'm a big fan of vultures. Nothing nasty about them if you don't get spit up on by bein too close.

There is a city park in Costa Rica on the Gulf side, the name slips my mind right now, but I walked around it and never found a gate, the place was full of black vultures, Limon I think it was. One of the craziest things I've ever seen, there were thousands of them in there.

I always thought if I got a sleeve tattoo it would be maggots on the hand and wrist, moving into a opposum all topped off with a big spread wing Turkey Vulture.  We only see the black ones when they migrate in the fall.

Not nasty, nice pic, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline RyanR

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 08:06:15 pm »
That is a really neat picture.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 09:49:08 pm »
No, they are nasty.  If you have ever seen them gathered up by the dozens waiting to catch a cow having a calf, you can learn to hate them.  There part of nature and do a good job cleaning up carcasses, but the way they will kill a calf makes me not like the sight of them.  >:(
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline 4dog

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 10:26:38 pm »
they gotta eat too..hogs do it..yotes do it..even big bad vultures do it ...lets do it...lets eat some meeeeaaatt!!!!!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 10:58:24 pm »
Oh no I don't necessarily think vultures are nasty.  I think roadkill is nasty and vultures being associated with them make them kind of nasty.  It smelled terrible and the nerves were still active so when I picked it up it squirmed a little.  Zombie snapper!!!

I learned that black vultures are more aggressive and will run off turkey vultures.

I'll go back to the area tomorrow and see what's left.  I hope the skull is in good shape.  I might even take the tail skin too as it looks like something off a dinosaur.

No, they are nasty.  If you have ever seen them gathered up by the dozens waiting to catch a cow having a calf, you can learn to hate them.  There part of nature and do a good job cleaning up carcasses, but the way they will kill a calf makes me not like the sight of them.  >:(
Back during the depression my great grandmother would stand guard over the cows and shoot vultures so they didn't get at the calves.  I've also heard of crested caracaras eating cow placentas after the birth.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:07:12 pm by PrimitiveTim »
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 11:51:54 pm »
Generally, Turkey Vultures have a more keen sense of smell and find the carcasses. But they lack the beak strength to break open the carcasses sometimes so they await the Black Vultures who follow the TVs around. The BVs open the carcass. The TVs await their turn.

I've seen Golden Eagles and Bald Eagles on roadkilled elk and mule deer here quite often. Redtail Hawks also. But when enough ravens show up, they'll mob an eagle off the carcass.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 05:01:26 am »
Looks like an Aligator Snapper from Here...

My Caption would Read:

NOOOO Donatello!!!
I told you That April girl was No Good for you!!!

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 11:28:02 am »
Looks like an Aligator Snapper from Here...

NOOOO Donatello!!!
I told you That April girl was No Good for you!!!

Yeah, if it was an alligator snapper I wouldn't have touched it as they are protected in Florida.  This is a common snapping turtle.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 02:12:57 pm »
I hear ya...
They are listed as Threatened in Texas as well.

That one is hard to ID with all the parts missing in the photo....

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 02:41:48 pm »
 ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr