Author Topic: Buzzards are Just Nasty  (Read 4662 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Buzzards are Just Nasty
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 03:32:13 pm »
I am now very interested to see how this thread progresses!  Keep 'em up fellas!  >:D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

JacksonCash

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 04:53:45 pm »
Stuff You Should Know recently did a pretty cool podcast about vultures. Apparently their role in nature as a disease break is so critical that the vultures of the eastern and western hemisphere evolved independently of one another to fill the exact same role.

Also, re: snapping turtle nerve impulses(This may not be for the weak-stomached); my dad had a friend who trapped turtles years back. Had my dad come over once when he was cleaning some of his catch, and asked him to reach into the beheaded carcass of one and grab the heart to pull out. My dad isn't one to balk at much, so in he reached and put his hand around the heart. He says that he started pulling, and then it beat right in his hand. He let go and got his hand out. His buddy said "What are you worried about, the bitey part is gone!". No idea if it is true or not, but it's a tale I've often heard him tell.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 05:34:39 pm »
Not surprised at all.  The whole back end wiggled when I grabbed the tail.  I shot some footage but I don't think that will be released.  Maybe if I did a "weird" video of a few weird things I've caught on film.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 08:25:37 pm »
Still remember the first turtle I ate.  Cut the head off and removed the underside of the shell.  Then cut the legs off and put them in a pot of water.  Got the water boiling and looked over at the remains.  Heart was still beating.  :o
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 01:25:49 pm »
... No idea if it is true or not, but it's a tale I've often heard him tell.

Absolutely true.  The first snapper I cleaned I cut the heart out and laid it on a chunk of wood.  It beat there on and off for a half an hour.  We took the shell with the skinned legs, neck and tail attached in and put it in my grandmother's sink.  I was outside when I heard her screaming and went in to find the shell and legs standing up in her sink trying to walk.  Snakes are just as bad.  Years ago I took the head off a rattler and put the body in the pocket of my jacket so I could keep the skin.  It kept crawling out and even attempted to strike with no head. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 01:55:32 am »
     Cool!  Yeah, never come up suddenly on feeding Buzzards, or Vultures if you want to be correct!  A Friend of mine lived not to far from me, and I used to go over to his house, and we would ride his horse through the woods, and one day, we came up on some vultures in some trees, and we went over in that direction to see what was below, and the horse was not having any of it.  He said about a year, before, he had ridden around some palmettos, and there were about 20 to 30 vultures, eating on a dead animal, and they all took, off, over his head, and vomited all over him and his horse. :o :P :P  He said too bad the horse couldn't vomit, but he did!  He said he just rode to nearest canal, and plunged in!  From then on whenever a vulture was near, the horse would shy away from it!  I believe I would too!  Was the turtle hit by a vehicle?
"Hoo Whee, thank god for Louisiana Hot sauce!"  "Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?  "No, but if you wait a few minutes, and I will fly over and give you some Black vulture Poopon!"  "So tell me again, about your foreign Uncle who taught you to lift these things, and drop them on rocks...."  "Uh, excuse me Barry, but you have a piece of lower intestine, hanging near your left nare."  Wouldn't want you to get clogged up and all, start dancing around, making snorting and gagging noises, making the rest of us nervous as to what we just ate."  "Hey guys, I just had a great idea, how about we eat this thing, and each of us take a couple pieces of intestines, and fly over to the cemetery, and sit in front of the gates of one of the big mausoleums, with the intestines hanging out of our beaks, and watch the faces of the lawn maintenance guys!"

Wayne
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:30:22 am by stickbender »

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 02:00:51 am »
Oh my stickbender.... :o lol  Um, yes.  Unfortunately this big female was struck by a vehicle on the road.  I came by and saw it hit and picked it up.  Didn't want anymore scavengers to get hit... and I needed it for a video :D