Author Topic: 52 inch Red Elm Short Bow  (Read 15403 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: 52 inch Red Elm Short Bow
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 12:08:03 am »
Bendy handled bows are easy to make too bendy in the middle, so on those short ones especially I say bend the inner limb/handle last; start the bend in the tips and work your way in. Try to get to a four inch brace bending nothing but the outer thirds, and then start working in evenly for that D shape. Remember that if the handle is going to be thinner than the surrounding working wood it's going to have to be significantly thicker, the fades will need to taper evenly, and the handle should bend the least out of all the wood due to its more narrow profile making it more prone to set.

I'm glad you cut out your handles later than I do, otherwise you wouldn't have much to salvage :o

For forty inches you're looking at pretty low draw length and weight, as I'm sure you knew, but good tiller on forty inches of wood will always look and feel impressive. If you keep the weight around thirty pounds I'd even bet you could keep set below an inch if tillering goes well.

You going to post as continuing the videos? I'm sure your audience would appreciate seeing your salvaged triumph  ;D
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline 4giveme

Re: 52 inch Red Elm Short Bow
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 10:31:35 pm »
Hi all,
Just wanted to up date you guys on the stave that just keeps giving. the link to the updated playlist is below.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7LisT2EUBEwFIMtJe_IRVHRCms-5tGCp

thanks
Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.