Author Topic: 52 inch Red Elm Short Bow  (Read 15413 times)

Offline 4giveme

52 inch Red Elm Short Bow
« on: December 29, 2013, 09:48:45 am »
Hi Guys,
Happy holidays to you all. The reason why I am posting is that I just started a new build a long. We will be working on a 52 inch red elm stave. part 1, 2, 3, are up and ready to watch on you tube. Please watch this build a long and enjoy the ride. Your questions and comments are always welcome.

Part 1 http://youtu.be/dI41g0s3vDM

Part 2 http://youtu.be/RaMBivV4T4A

Part 3 http://youtu.be/qHeTlRONp8I

Thanks Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: 52 inch Red Elm Short Bow
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 10:47:49 am »
Looking forward to seeing the finished bow Tommy! Thanks for sharing.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 08:23:33 pm »
hi guys,
build along is going well. part 4 is just been posted- http://youtu.be/dI41g0s3vDM
Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 08:31:12 am »
Tommy, I clicked on the link to watch Part 4, but it is the link to Part 1
Johnny
in Texas

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 08:45:27 am »
Hi Johnny,
Thanks for the reply. Sorry about that this should fix it.

Part 4- http://youtu.be/472lKf5RbDQ

Part 5- http://youtu.be/DYgDJwd4qhw

Thanks Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 05:06:21 pm »
At the end of part five it sounds like you intend to taper the back of the bow? As in, same process as applied to the belly, but on the back?

It's been done, but it's nowhere near safe. I've reduced weight on a couple bows, including a mollegabet I've got drying right now, by removing one or two back rings to lose forty pounds after the tiller looks right, and just had to do minor adjustments thereafter. But please, try to keep a whole back ring; I really like the looks of this stave.

Also, the way I get my floor tiller is by looking at the belly rings, like you showed. It's best to be sure that the ring out of the fade doesn't taper and then bulge going into the handle as that will lead to a lot of fade bend, which makes for a whole lot of set.

I'm probably preaching to the choir, but no sense keeping quiet, right?
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 05:45:41 pm »
that's coming along nicely
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 09:37:45 pm »
Hi huisme,
Thanks for the post. Love to hear things from the other side of the coin. You may see something I am missing, and that's helpful to me. I did wind up chasing two rings on the sap wood. It worked out great. I was able to get on ring from knock to knock. So all good there. She is just about to start to bend for the floor tiller. This is where it gets good, we are almost ready to steam in the d/r profile. Please keep the comments coming they are helpful. Part 6 coming soon. You you subscribed to my channel.
God bless and happy new year,
Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 09:41:38 pm »
Thanks BowSlayer, It looks really good, wish I the clips did it justice. :-\ I am trying to get better at editing the footage to make watching it easier.
God bless and happy new year.
Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 01:06:59 pm »
hi all part 6 up on youtube

Part 6- http://youtu.be/qY_JoELdTRM

thanks Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.

Offline huisme

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 04:20:53 pm »
It looks like a lot of bend is going on just out of the fades. I'd tiller everywhere but the inner limb from now on until you get a uniform bend going.

I like what you did with the back. This is gonna be great  ;D
50#@26"

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 08:25:14 pm »
Hello huisme,
I am working the tips as we speak. its looking good and I am hoping to finish with the long string tiller tonight (goal 50#@24). So I then can commence the steaming. >:D
Thanks for watching and for the advise (which is always welcome).
Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 06:54:31 pm »
hi all,
 The next installment of the Red Elm bow is out!!!

Part 7- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThwdkTwpar4&feature=sharenoembed&list=UU86XyWtp2Qfnce5J_8IoCPw&index=1
Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.

Offline huisme

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 08:59:12 pm »
Ouch. Well, a broken bow represents a lesson learned, right?

Just my two cents: if I'm going to do any heavy bending, like for r/d bows, I chase the belly to a single ring and do the bending before there's any taper. I've had a lot more success bending recurves and reflex on blanks with one-ring bellies than on floor-tillered bows.
50#@26"

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 11:03:57 pm »
I agree with you. that's how did the others but thought it would work. that's what happens when you get out of order. :laugh: but there will be others. I will post follow ups on this thread about the 40 incher I am going to make from the stave that was to be the 52 inch red elm. Any tips on bend through the handle builds you can share?
thanks for the support
Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.