Author Topic: Best wood for an arrow?  (Read 10147 times)

Offline Hartknifemaker

Best wood for an arrow?
« on: December 31, 2013, 01:00:48 pm »
Is there and optimum wood for arrows? I've always heard that hickory is really good, is it in the top ten?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Best wood for an arrow?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 01:23:45 pm »
River cane and hill cane are VERY popular and for good reason.  I have to admit that I really like cane also.  It's my #1 choice.

Birch used to be my favorite but it's now number 2 or 3.  I also like Chinese privet.  I've been working a little with viburnum and it will probably be in my top 5.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 02:29:21 pm »
They all have their pluses and minuses. Even though I can harvest hill cane on my own property I prefer sourwood to make arrows with. I have had good results with blackhaw viburnum and red osier dogwood but not so good with maple, birch or beech shoots.
Split hickory can make a good arrow but it will be heavy and you'll have to straighten occasionally. The white pine shafts I planed were pretty big diameter for their spine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 04:38:41 pm »
Popular, popular, popular, and any good cane!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 04:42:25 pm »
Popular, popular, popular, and any good cane!!!!!!!!!!!!

X2 what Stringstretcher said.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 05:17:54 pm »
Popular poplar incase nobody mention it >:D...........Art

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 05:23:17 pm »
Poplar does make great arrows!!!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 05:57:46 pm »
I also really like poplar. Its incredibly tough.

Jon

Offline Scottski

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 07:40:35 pm »
Can I get a poplar board rip it and run through my dowl cutter?
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 07:44:48 pm »
Yeah, I like poplar too. It's tougher than you would think. Douglas fir is easy to find though in straight grain, I spent 20 bucks at menards for a length of 12 feet, 4 x 4, (yeah, only 20 bucks!) and the grain is beautifully straight for all 12 feet, all sides! Haven't found a knot yet! Been though 6 feet so far. 
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 09:04:46 pm »
Scottski, basically yes but the longer you allow it to season before you make the arrows the better the arrows will be. Try to accumulate as much wood as you can so you always seasoned wood to work with.

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 12:30:15 am »
I don't think there is an optimum arrow wood.
For every particular wood species used for arrows you'll easily find plenty of people who like it... and plenty who don't really care for it.
Recommendations from experienced arrow makers are great as they can give you a good place to start in your own search. But, really, you're the only one who can decide the optimum arrow wood for your uses.

Guy

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 11:07:04 am »
Hill Cane is the best plant material for me. Im not a big fan of any of the woods. Maybe spruce if its good. Other than that they all break too easy FOR ME. I have been shooting the same 4 Hill cane arrows for 8-9 months, including last summer's many shoots.....and Im not a good shot! You really cant break them without a hell of an effort.

Im starting some viburnum and so far I must say they feel great. Im anxious to complete some.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 02:24:55 pm »
Of all that I've tried, Sourwood is my favourite. I've showed a Sourwood arrow to Navajo and Hopi people and they are very fascinated by this arrowwood and always ask where to get it. They were hoping it grew here in Arizona. Port Orford Cedar makes a nice arrow, of course, but they are pretty fragile to say the least.

A Navajo here who would know told me they used Mountain Mahogany but I have not yet tried this. He showed me some arrows he made with it that had flared nocks and I must admit, his arrows were great. But a lot of Navajo here are getting dowels and bamboo from Home Depot and making arrows with it and say it works well for them. The Hopi are getting a type of arrowwood that grows near the mesas, so they say, and they use it. But they said this is getting hard to find in decent shaft size. But when they saw the Sourwood arrow I showed them, they said they'd use it exclusively if they could get it. The Hopi make arrows for certain dances as well as for shooting.

As a sidenote, arrow grooving was traditionally done with Navajo arrows.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 08:21:55 pm »
I have used several different woods for my arrows over the years.

Splitwood Shafting:
- Port Orford Cedar
- Sitka Spruce
- Lodgepole Pine

* POC makes great arrows, but as mentioned earlier it is pretty fragile, so you'll go through a lot of arrows.  Sitka Spruce is significantly tougher, but also a little lighter.  Lodgepole Pine was a nice middle ground between the two.

Natural Shafting:
- Red Osier Dogwood
- Lilac

* Red Osier makes a great arrow, IMO.  It is readily available where I live, and I have made dozens of arrows out of it over the years.  Lilac makes a HEAVY arrow, in both weight and spine.

I'm currently working on a set of Douglas Fir arrows.  I'll let you know how they turn out.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."