Author Topic: Best wood for an arrow?  (Read 10146 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Best wood for an arrow?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 02:13:58 pm »
This is full of POC opinions cherokeeKC, check it out.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Don Case

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 01:38:13 am »
Is willow any good for arrows? I can find lots of it. It's been tougher to find any of the ones that have been mentioned.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 11:09:30 am »
Don, willow was used by some Native Americans but it is not the best IMO. There are lots of different willow's so they may not all be the same.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 11:35:43 am »
   I would like to get ahold of some Larch or tamarac. I have never been able to find any.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 12:50:11 pm »
Multi-floral Rose hasn't been mentioned yet.  I've made a lot of arrows from that. Wild rose some may call it. Kinda light, but seems tough to me. Not as hard to find straight ones as you may think, gotta go to the center of the brush most of the time though. Make sure they are at least second year growth and 3/8" at big end when cut. I leave the bark on to dry. Takes a couple of months. Have never had a problem finding them around my place and most folks don't care if you cut them off their land since they are invasive and prolific. Just a thought. Easy to come by. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)