Author Topic: Hafting a plains indian war club.  (Read 13111 times)

Offline seminolewind

Hafting a plains indian war club.
« on: December 31, 2013, 02:10:25 pm »
Does anyone have any info on how these were hafted. I know that rawhide wrap was used but wanto know how it was attached to the rigid handle. I have been unable to find a build along or a description on the web. Any info would be great thanks !
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hafting a plains indian war club.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 02:44:58 pm »
Elijah, I think an outer strip from each side of the handle is brought over and around the head then down the other side then a wet rawhide wrap is applied. As wet rawhide dries it shrinks and the will seize the head to the handle.  This is just a guess.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 02:51:14 pm »
So a thin strip of the wood from the handle is wrapped around the groove and the wet rawhide wraps around on top of the wood then down the handle?
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 02:57:34 pm »
Sounds good to me!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 02:59:42 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, there are multiple layers of rawhide (probably 3) that run up the handle and loop over the stone.  The wood handle stops at the bottom of the stone and doesn't run over the top.  There is also a whipping of rawhide at the joint to keep the loop tight and close to the handle.

I've made one with wood running over the top and it was so thin that it broke with the first strike.  If there is a wood out there that can be made thin enough to follow the contour of the stone and also withstand the force of a blow, I have yet to find it.   :-\
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:03:05 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 03:09:45 pm »
That's what I was thinking that the handle must stop at the stone. I have seen handles on grooved stones where the handle was split and wrapped around the stone. seems that if the handle stops at the stone the rawhide would provide a little flexibility. I guess I'm gonna have to experiment with it. Also do you have any ideas on how to keep the wife from yelling at me when I'm peckin and grindin all day ?!?

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 05:26:17 pm »
Being a pecker will always get you in trouble at home.  ;D

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 05:35:23 pm »
I could be wrong but... The one at 11 oclock seems to be different... It appears that the branch has a fork and the stone is cradled in it...
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 08:47:29 pm »
Hmmm...  maybe get some power tools for the pecking and grinding?  And a sound-proof room?  That wife yelling thing can age you quicker than too much time in a tanning booth!.   :o

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 09:40:55 pm »
They were done several different ways. On some of them, the head was simply held on by the rawhide. With others, the head was grooved to hold a piece of stick or rawhide, or a hole was bored into the head and the stick inserted. Some had a groove and a hole. The vast majority of them had the rawhide attached to the handle with a single seam. Where the rawhide reaches the head, it is folded over the top and a Y shaped seam is formed. This way you only have one seam running up the handle.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 10:00:14 pm »
Awesome.  I love the close-up.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 12:46:57 am »
So tipi stuff were there ever multiple layers of rawhide around or in the groove of the stone? It seems like there might be in the original pics I posted how would these be brought back flush on the handle?Also it looks like the handle is completely encased in rawhide is there a seam running the length of it? Finally what handle material would be used.

Thanks guys !

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 03:04:44 am »

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 08:33:26 am »
Seminole, I went to the thread you posted from paleoplanet. The link takes you to a discussion on stone headed clubs. The guy who started the thread attached a link to his message that takes you to a Sioux club that he wants to use use as his model. The club that he takes you to is not built like the ones you posted on this thread. The ones you posted are very typical Lakota clubs. The one that is in the paleoplanet post is not typical, and is very likely either not old, or made as a tourist object. All of the Lakota clubs that you posted have a single seam that runs the length of the handle, and are put together like the one I posted. Some of them have a narrow strip of rawhide passing over the top of the head before it is covered, and some do not. The sticks on these are not very large in diameter, and tend to be fairly long. The sticks on mine are 20 inches, and 23 inches long, and no more than 1/2 an inch in diameter at the bottom of the handle. I use rough leaf dogwood for my handles, but you could also use choke cherry, ash or any other straight hard shoot. Often, when I go out looking for arrow shafts I am also looking for tipi stakes, tipi lace pins, game sticks, handles etc. I use dogwood for all kinds of things.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 08:48:11 am »
Out of curiosity, I went back to look at the club being discussed on paleoplanet. The link takes you to a site called Pure Cowboy. The have a section listed as Native American. The items listed on there are a joke. The prices are what you would see with original artifacts, but many of the "artifacts" are a farce. There are a couple of pieces on there that might actually be old, but most are not. The deer leg fan is an absolute fantasy piece!  Curtis