Author Topic: Split or Cut?  (Read 9920 times)

Bowman4269

Split or Cut?
« on: December 18, 2007, 04:07:42 pm »
I'm new to bowmaking so this is probably a stupid question but do most of you guys split your wood or cut it with a saw when making staves?

Bowman4269
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 04:14:39 pm by Bowman4269 »

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Split or Cut?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 04:49:27 pm »
.........Split it out that way it will more than likely follow the grain. Dont saw it out, it will violate the grain................bob

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 09:33:09 pm »
Do check that vertical grain and follow it when laying out the middle of the stave. Not a big deal with a straight whitewood stave but becomes important when dealing with a snaky stave. The vertical grain runs tip to tip. Look closely at the back of the stave. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 09:37:22 pm »
Have tried both - prefer splitting, as a split follows the grain. After you debark and locate the grain, saw away :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 09:08:10 am »
Split. Then saw or chop to profile, but like Jawge said, you gotta follow the grain. If you try to make a straight bow out of a crooked stave, it's gonna blow up on you.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 09:10:47 am »
Oh you gotta split it, how else can you appreciate the strength and toughness of the tree? Plus swingin a  big hammer is good for ya.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 11:07:33 am »
I split most ,but do cut Hickory if it is good striaght grain. :) and want to get the most out of it.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 11:15:08 am »
In the interest of settling this debate if anyone wants to drop 2 logs of osage off at my house I will do one each way
and report the rusults back to ya all ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 03:16:31 pm »
If you only try osage, that would still leave the debate open, so in all fairness, I say two of everything.  If you need help splitting, call me and make a large pot of coffee.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 08:46:58 pm »
On the way Dana, one anyway - think you'll be able to get two outa this one (maybe ;)).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 05:59:19 am »
Camp coffe ok? Black and strong, none of that sissy Starbucks slop.
If the grain is not straight I say split, if the grain is nice and straight kerf with a chainsaw
and save a little work. On small diameter 3"-4" I will just cut them in half on the bandsaw.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI