Author Topic: Sneak preview/ need some help finishing!  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Accipiter

Sneak preview/ need some help finishing!
« on: January 07, 2014, 02:24:12 pm »
OK, so I'm trying to replicate a rawhide sleeve take-down I saw here: http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/reply/303271/Re-Raw-Hide-Scarf-tube-take-down-red-oak-bow#.UsxBmrTWun5

Ingredients are some ocean spray billets, rawhide and hemp sting/bolts (I used 2 instead of 1, haven't cut them short yet).

Ain't it pretty? :laugh:

After I got it to floor tiller, I noticed the tips were not aligned, so I steamed each billet straight, bending each maybe 15 degree about 2/3 of the way out along the limb. Easy, right? Unfortunately, after some more tillering, stringing and heat treating, the tips are back to their old tricks, if not worse. String isn't even going over the handle, let alone the center of the handle. Anyways, is it safe to steam bend wood another time, especially after a heat treat? How can I make sure the alignment stays straight next time?

I really like this bow, the handle is staying together, tiller is looking pretty good so far and the poundage is right where I want it. String alignment, not so much. Help me save this one!

Offline Accipiter

Re: Sneak preview/ need some help finishing!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:19:26 pm »
Any thoughts? Could I steam the tips and then heat treat them on the side to try and lock it in?

Offline ohma2

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 10:34:53 am »
If your wood is dry now I wouldnt go back to steam any more the allignment doesnt look all that bad you can take it out with dry heat?

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 10:38:57 am »
I'd just use crisco and dry heat. Also account for the spring back the wood will have. Take it a little farther than u need and it should come back a little.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 10:52:47 am »
How does the bow line up, tip to tip without the string on it?
  Those bolts are gonna be uncomfortable when shooting the bow.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 01:14:56 pm »
Those bolts are gonna be uncomfortable when shooting the bow.
Haha, no doubt Pat. Right now the tip alignment is good when unstrung, but I did do another round of steaming last night. Is there a way to make sure it stays straight when strung?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 01:19:11 pm »
If the limbs are uneven thickness from side to side the bow will continue to pull to the side. Check the limb thickness and see if it is uneven.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 01:48:39 pm »
Ok, that sounds like a good thing to check. Which side would it pull toward? The thinner one?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 02:23:01 pm »
Yes   I place my thumb on top and fingers under and feel the thickness. Moving them across and along the bow will show you where the differences are.

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 02:51:46 pm »
Cool, thanks for all the advice Pat, I appreciate it.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 11:46:36 am »
It could be moving in the rawhide sleeve,lot of presure there. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good