Author Topic: R/D Osage (tiller check please)  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Will H

R/D Osage (tiller check please)
« on: January 07, 2014, 08:38:55 pm »
I've been experimenting a bit with different forms and came up with this R/D that I like. Haven't tillered a bunch like this other than a few Bamboo backed bows with similar side profiles. I just wanted to get some more experienced r/d eyes on what I have going on here. Thanks in advance :)

Specs are 61 1/2" NtN. Asymmetrical bow with the bottom limb (on right) 2 1/2" shorter. 1 1/4" wide to mid limb tapering to 1/2" for now. It's 45#@25" shooting for 40-45@28"

Any thoughts?

Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Badly Bent

Re: R/D Osage (tiller check please)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:23:27 pm »
I don't have enough experience with that style to offer an opinion on the tiller Will but the bow itself looks real nice.
See what some of the others say that might know, I'll watch and maybe learn something from this. I do like that style
bow though but never did one with that much r/d, likely be a good performer when done.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 10:39:23 pm »
I'd say right side looks flat after the fad to mid limb. Hard to say though. The offset strap on handle is messing with my head.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 11:16:14 pm »
These ones are best judged while being pulled. Hard to tell which parts of the limb are working from still pics, as the bending is so subtle , and we aren't looking  for a single arc or ellipse. How does it look as you pull it. Does the limb work well out to the tips? The idea of the recurve of course is to make the limb work more out to the recurve itself so it is bending the limb evenly instead of pulling it  as it gets closer to the nocks.

Getting off the topic, can you show some better pics of the system you have for holding the bow? We were just talking about this on another thread about tiller tree set ups. I'm using a heavy duty Velcro strap but was thinking a hook set up would be quicker. And here it is! Please post some pics with the reasons why you went with this set up on this thread. " Lets see your tillering tree set up (Pics added)"  I think this thread  could be a real help to many.

I like the leather strap idea  on the string as well. Just curious though as to why you've offset the handle strap so far?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:24:17 pm by lostarrow »

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 11:57:22 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. The limbs seem to be working pretty nice and evenly so far. Paul I was thinking the same thing. Lostarrow, I posted some pics on that thread for ya. The reason I have the strap offset so much is because that's where the bow balances with the limbs as asymmetrical as they are. I'm putting a locator/pistol style grip on this bow. I like this style grip and think the bow shoots better when the bow balances right in the deepest part of the grip. It's just something I've been playing with lately... It's a little more trouble but I think it's worth it for me ::)
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 12:22:07 am »
It looks pretty good will. Must be a sweet caul. I think that right limb needs a bit more flex around lines 3 and fou4 from the top. I see it in the braced profile pic too. I love the rd bow and its almost all I build anymore.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 02:12:03 am »
Thanks,I'll have to check it out. I see know where you plan to put the grip.  Deep shelf?

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 04:38:07 am »
The mid limbs need to work a little more.
With bows like this it is really, really helpful to trace the out line of the staves side profile before it's been pulled much at all. This then always gives you a definate reference and if your eyes really stop working you can go all techy....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 05:23:25 am »
It looks pretty good so far,seems most of the bend is at the fads,Needs a little more bend mid limbs I would say,they don't look to be working much. Where are you at on weight and draw length ?
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 07:43:51 am »
I agree with pappy and mike.....but your awfully dang close,and it ain't by much...take 10 scrapes each limb from mid limb to the tips and check it,and repeat if necessary but maybe 5 scrapes the next time cus its so close....the reflex is slightly opening and it might be at that threshold of being stubborn and not wanting to bend and all it takes is a few more scrapes to open them up just a wee bit more...so be careful....but yeah I think the mid limbs to the tips can afford a smudgen more of a bend...

Your also at the point where you should prob shape your handle and start drawing it by hand to get a true reading,and start throwing some arrows out of it IMO....I like to start throwing arrows out of them when I'm ~3" away...that way I have room to tweak it some if I need too,and I have room to dial it all in
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:48:29 am by blackhawk »

Offline Will H

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 08:43:38 am »
Thanks guys, that's just what I needed.

Mike, thanks. I didn't trace the bow but I did take a pic of the side profile before it was ever strung for that same reason. Ill post it here, it hasn't changed much, maybe 3/4" set.

Thanks Pap, it's 45@25 right now.

Blackhawk- thanks. I think that's what I'll do. I was getting to that point of just needing a little reassurance. I'll shape up the grip get some overlays goin and run some arrows through it.

dvshunter- thanks man, we posted some pics over on the life is good thread of the caul if you wanna see it. I used it and a 16" radius to give a little more reflex in the outer limbs.
           Clarksville, Tennessee

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 09:06:44 am »
Do you have room to remove some width in those stiffer spots? If so take some off the sides first..that way you can take off some possible unneeded mass and get that lil more bend ya need...and it would smooth the bow up even more killing two birds with one stone so to speak...that's why I like to start shooting them ~3" away in case I need to remove some width in the outer thirds of the limbs and etc etc...you should know this ;) and drawing it n shooting it is going to tell you a lot right now what needs to be done to vet her to where you want her :)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 10:56:47 am »
Looking good Will. Listen to these guys, they know what they are talking about. I have trouble seeing good tiller on R/D style bows. I've made a few(all wood lams) but haven't lately because they tax what little brain I have.  ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 11:00:02 am »
Looking good Will. Listen to these guys, they know what they are talking about. I have trouble seeing good tiller on R/D style bows. I've made a few(all wood lams) but haven't lately because they tax what little brain I have.  ???

Amen to that brother Pat! Same here!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 11:31:25 am »
The tiller on these bows gives me a headache too.