Author Topic: Pistol Crossbow  (Read 2080 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Pistol Crossbow
« on: January 08, 2014, 06:37:48 pm »
This wasn't on my 100+ item cabin fever project list, but suddenly the challenge was conceived and the process began. Can't help but share (quite proud of myself   ;D).  What we've got here is a beaked hazelnut prod, 26 1/4" long, and (guessing) maybe 35#@8". Rawhide backed, elk hoof-tipped, mounted on a lock of my own design. Took some set, I may set myself the task of replacing the prod with an elm one. Looks pretty cool if I say so Myself, wouldn't claim it was wabbit-hunting worthy though. But it spits a light spruce bolt quite nicely, thank you.  As a side note, I'm a bit tickled by the fact that there are not 1, but actually 3 wooden springs in use here: The prod of course, but also the chokecherry lock mainspring and the trigger as well.

The piece on the top is a chokecherry spring. It keeps positive pressure on the lock barrel until squeezing the trigger unseats it. It also holds the bolt in place, but the holding pressure is released upon firing. Pretty sneaky, no?

Lock close-up at full draw:

I carved the lock barrel with a farrier's rasp out of an antler tip. The top pin (at left) holds the string loop, and the bottom one engages a shelf carved into the pistol.

If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Will H

Re: Pistol Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 06:44:05 pm »
Now ain't that somethin! Very cool  8)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:47:07 pm »
That's super cool! Thanks for sharing.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 08:57:40 pm »
SAAAWEEEEEEET!!!! that is so bada$$, more inspiration to make one myself!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 10:54:01 pm »
I like the looks of this but, i cant get my mind wrapped around how it can fire a bolt with the string trapped between the stock and the top spring.
Steve Bennett

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 11:10:20 pm »
Thanks for the interest and commentary guys  :)

Turtle, the top of the stock has a groove that holds the bolt. The bolt goes between the stock and the top spring. Also, I forgot to mention this in the main post, but the bow is centershot. I drilled a hole dead center and the bolt comes out the hole.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 11:48:45 pm »
Ahhhh....... Hole thru bow. That clears it up for me. Thanks.
Steve Bennett