Author Topic: new to bowmaking  (Read 2955 times)

Offline sailordad

new to bowmaking
« on: December 18, 2007, 11:33:10 pm »
hi, I'm new to this addiction of making bows.And i was wondering if someone could provide a little advise.
first off i am working on a boo backed epee stave that i purchased from RUDDER ARCHERY(beautiful looking stave).while scraping the stave and checking the bend in the limbs I've noticed on one limb what looks like a dent in the wood on the belly side approx, 1/8 inch wide and from side to side.would this be a sign of a hinge?I have never noticed a hinge when i check tiller.and if it's not too much to ask,i was wondering how you know when the stave is ready to have a bow string put on it?
thank you very much for any assistance.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: new to bowmaking
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 11:50:47 pm »
Sailor, Its hard to say without seeing the dent.  Could it be where the grain swirled and a piece was released?  You will see a hinge as an area that is bending more than any other along the limb.
   I usually brace a bow for the first time after it has been tillered out to 6"- 8" then brace it only to about 4". Be absolutely sure both limbs are bending evenly before bracing.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 01:00:55 am »
Do you have access to a digital camera?  You'll get more advice with photos to look at...
Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 07:51:56 am »
Welcome to the site sailordad, lots of help to be found here, as knocker said a picture is worth a 1000 words.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 09:02:15 am »
Tough to say without  photo. It all depends on how the limb is bending. If an area is bending too much in relation to the rest of the limb then you have a hinge. There's info on my site. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!