Author Topic: heat box  (Read 3669 times)

Offline chessieboy

heat box
« on: December 19, 2007, 01:54:51 am »
Just curious, what is the size of your heat box? I made one 2' square by 6' long. I had 4- 100 wt bulbs in it and brought the temp up about 10 degrees after 2 hours. One problem is that I don't have any insulation in it yet. I was wondering if the box was too big, do I need more/bigger bulbs or will it heat up after insulating it?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: heat box
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 05:50:38 am »
That sounds like mine,Mine is made from Plywood with 3 100 wt. bulbs and will heat up well over 100degrees.I have a rheostat on it to dim the bulbs and cool it down.I keep it at about 90 most
of the time.The only problem that insulation might help is my is outside and when it gets cold I have to adjust it up some. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 07:47:31 am »
Sounds like mine, it gets plenty hot but what is more important IMO is the humidity level.
I keep a humidity gauge in mine.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

wvfknapper

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 08:27:11 am »
One I had made before was a square box appx 16" wide x 18" high x 80" long, framed inside with 2 x 2 lumber with cross supports about 8" off the bottom for the bow to rest on,,, and just a flat piece of plywood that sat on the top with a foam seal and a hole in the center for a stem thermometer ,, inside I had 4 lightbulbs evenly spaced the length , with a dimmer switch to adjust the heat, and I also installed 2 of those little fans out of the back of a computer which seemed to help controll the humidity and move the heat....... I could get well above 100 dg, no insulation just sealed the corners on the inside.

Need to build another one now  ;)

wvflintknapper

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 10:40:22 am »
I made mine 7' so I could fit longer staves in it.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 12:19:23 pm »
Mine is a piece of cheap flexible aluminum pipe, and an old blanket.  You place a small space heater at one end, and a Frisbee covering the back end.  Kind of need to flip the bows around daily, the near end gets a bit hotter.

One of these days I'll make a hot box, if I think I'm going to stick with this hobby.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 01:39:55 pm »
.......Mine is 8 " diameter a/c duct(aluminum). Has a damper in middle ta control heat inside. 8' long, 3 -75 watt bulbs, ole' blanket wrapped on outside ta insulate. Cost ta build , hmm-about $ 25.00 with damper and bulbs..............bob