Author Topic: extenending LOP  (Read 1523 times)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
extenending LOP
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:57:21 am »
ok a few years ago my brotherinlaw gave me a nice over/under 20G but its LOP was cut to my sisters 12" LOP and that's way to short for my 15 1/2" LOP  :o have yall ever grafted a longer piece of wood to lengthen a guns stock? i was thinking of making it so i can take the extension off in the future so if my kids want to shoot it they will be able to with its short stock but i can re attach the spacer for me when im using it for hunting.
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: extenending LOP
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 11:05:55 am »
Wouldn't be hard to do but would look a bit odd. If it is a really nice gun I would buy a new butt stock for it and have a gunsmith fit it to your LOP. 15 1/2" is a very long LOP, you must be whopper.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:06:56 am »
I have never tried that, but it seems like it would work.  You could just screw it on then take it off when you wanted to shorten it back up.  You might have to refinish the whole stock to get a goo clean joint.  Shouldn't take too long.  You could even gussy it up with some different wood laminations for the spacer.  Keep us posted :)

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:33:20 am »
you read my mind idahomatt i was thinking of laminating some wood like babinga,heart wood,osage ect so itl look nice i dont care if the grains match my guns are tool and not for show :) now to find some nice looking woods to laminate

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:09:29 pm »
As a gun builder I have to toss my two cents worth in. If you are going to laminate, a highly figured 3/4" strip folowed by the same wood as the stock would look classy, like a gold inlay band looks on a barrel.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 02:45:42 pm »
If you want a sort of  mountain man sort of look ,you could make a leather sling  that fastens to a cuff of leather on the but of the gun. That would hide the seam that it sounds like  might be a temporary thing anyway.  I always do a lot of walking while hunting and sometimes a sling is a very welcome addition . They weigh a lot more than stick bows, and I'm getting old ::)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:51:36 pm by lostarrow »

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 03:29:27 pm »
two very good info thanx :) my buddy david knight is going to send me abunch of different pieces to laminate
i texted him the stocks color :) so he can choose some nice pieces to complement it :) and that leather cuff looks awesome

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 04:06:12 pm »
Cut a little off the fore stock and make it match the rear stock..... Think schnoeble...
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano