Author Topic: Poplar shaft straightening  (Read 8955 times)

Offline armymedic.2

Poplar shaft straightening
« on: August 13, 2007, 12:13:05 pm »
i have 2 dozen poplar shafts that i ordered from 3 rivers.  I immediately noticed that they were much rougher than a cedar shaft on the outside surface.  I also noticed that they were not all straight, and the ones that weren't did not like to be straightened with pressure. My ace roller does a great job on cedars, but nothing to the poplar.  Any suggestions?  is this typical of poplar shafts?  I wanted them because they are supposed to be more durable and heavier than cedar, but if they aren't straight they aren't worth a dang!
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Poplar shaft straightening
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 01:06:38 pm »
Try straightening them with heat. I sometimes make poplar shafts from scratch, and they stay straight really well if split from good straight-grained stock.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 01:31:52 pm »
Heat always works for me on crooked hardwoods arrows. Pressure works when they are green and drying, but heat makes it much easier when they are seasoned.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 04:40:19 pm »
is it okay for me to use heat on finished arrows.  i have three that are already coated in finish, and they are pretty crooked.  It is quick dry stuff from 3 rivers.  Thanks guys.  Using heat, do i need to hold them straight until they cool?

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 10:43:17 pm »
you might be able to get 'em straight by burnishing the outside bend where they're crooked. by compressing the wood fibers it effectively pulls out the crook.
burnishing might scuff the finish depending on how brittle it is...much better to straighten before applying finish.  ;) 

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 12:50:24 am »
If you are careful, you should be able to heat them enough to straighten them without effecting the finish...if you are careful! ;D  If you screw up the finish just sand them and refinish or use them for stumpers.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DSwankster

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 05:48:37 am »
Took me multiple straightenings with steam to get 3 Rivers poplar straight.  I was disappointed with the quality.  I found better poplar shafts elsewhere.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 10:37:48 am »
Thank you to all who responded, i finally got to it last night and went to straightening with heat.  It worked well.  They are not perfectly striaght because of lacking skill, but they are much better, and should shoot well enough now.  I also just finished 6 of them with white feathers wrapped with black thread, and the self nock reinforcment is red thread.  Very beautiful.  I am going to put the handle wrap on my 2nd attempt at a bow (hickory with a bamboo back, with a mahogany handle and rest), so i will post pictures of them together as soon as the leather comes.  Thanks for all the help. ;)

jamie

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 04:29:06 pm »
aside from the initial straightening of shoot shafts i always straighten my shafts by hand and have never had a problem. i just put the outside bend in the thumb pad and apply pressure . peace