Author Topic: Snowflake obsidian?  (Read 5448 times)

Offline DuBois

Snowflake obsidian?
« on: January 16, 2014, 12:44:20 am »
Local antique store has a fist sized chunk of obsidian and another same size snowflake obsidian for 20$ each.  I don't know much. Is it worth that?
Thanks, Marco.

Offline 1442

Re: Snowflake obsidian?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 02:30:00 am »
NO! 20 bucks for both would be high

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 08:28:54 am »
snow flaked obsidian can be trouble to knap also, because of the ash that makes the flakes. Especially if it is heavy snow flaking.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:36:45 am »
OK, thanks folks. I am just now getting started into some supplies to hopefully make some points and thought I may have scored. Oh well.

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 12:30:38 pm »
OK, thanks folks. I am just now getting started into some supplies to hopefully make some points and thought I may have scored. Oh well.

Billy Berger's website sells flint flakes for 3 bucks a pound its pretty cheap for some quality material IMO
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 01:25:32 pm »
Definitely "NO" on the $40 worth of obsidian! Nothing wrong with obsidian to learn on (I would avoid snowflake) but for $40 you should be getting 3-4 football sized chunks. Save your money.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 03:02:10 pm »
he!! DuBois - I would be willing to trade you some obsidian - you can get more in a flat rate box and it is less expensive than the $40 price tag in an Anti Q Shop.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 10:45:26 pm »
I agree to much $.
Although I really like some snowflake I have knapped.
 The blacks are black and the white can be cloud like.
Look on the web or give me a PM
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 10:34:42 am »
Hey doobie!  Take a weekend and head over to pipestone.  They have flint and obsidian at the trading post.  They are only open from May to Oct or Nov.  But they'll have some good material for you.  They also sell catlinite and soapstone if your interested in making pipes.  Josh

Offline DuBois

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 03:23:26 pm »
Thanks again everybody,

Hey Ben, what are you lookin for these days?

Zuma I will keep ya in mind once I get a little closer to having the basic tools and such.

Thanks Josh, I will definitely head over there in the spring. Make a day trip with the family out of it  ;)

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 12:26:52 am »
yep way to much, I can buy all I want for $1 per pound
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 03:08:07 am »
ive knapped a little bit with snow flake. and its a little tricky. like to step bc of the ash pockets :/
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 03:14:31 am »
To me its not worth it even if it were free.  It is unique and can make a nice point but it isn't the easiest to knapp. 

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 07:42:58 pm »
There is a very nice article on obsidian put out at Oregon State by Jim Miller.  If you google obsidian you should be able to find it. "volcano/oregonstate" or something like that is in the web address.

The "snow flakes" in obsidian are not ash but are a crystal known as cristobalite. If you are getting "ash" pockets then they are probably pumice chunks and may indeed be ash pockets but they are not true snowflake obsidian.  I have a point made from a slab  of snowflake. the crystal are definitely a challenge to deal with, but not impossible. I will see if I can find it and post a picture. Most snowflake is used for jewelry and sculpture. There are lots of pics online.