Author Topic: GAP shooting???  (Read 9451 times)

Offline Wooden Spring

GAP shooting???
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:00:44 am »
My wife and I are Civil War Reenactors, and we have started a Civilian Archer's Society within the hobby... I've made about a dozen bows, and spend weekends teaching reenactors how to shoot primitive bows, and it's ALWAYS a big hit.

Here's my question... Since I'm always looking to find better ways of teaching folks how to shoot, are there any methods other than GAP shooting (which is what I teach) that would be easier for beginners to have success? Most of these people have never held a bow before, but after about 10 minutes of me showing them the basics, most folks are hitting bullseyes at 20 yards.

Below is a picture of one of my ladies shooting the GAP method. I've drawn in a sight line and arrow-to-target line to show how the GAP method works, and I use this picture often to show new folks how to shoot.

Are there any better ways???
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline paulsemp

Re: GAP shooting???
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 09:53:53 am »
If newbies are hitting bulls eyes at 20 yards within 10 minutes I would say you're doing just fine.  maybe I could use a lesson  :o

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 10:08:10 am »
If newbies are hitting bulls eyes at 20 yards within 10 minutes I would say you're doing just fine.  maybe I could use a lesson  :o

Nah... I mainly find it's like the folks who have never fired a rifle before - they don't have any bad habits to un-learn.

Everything I learned about GAP shooting was from reading "Become the Arrow" by Byron Ferguson. I just distill that down to about a 5 minute lesson, and about 5 minutes worth of shooting/teaching. After that, folks seem to take to it really quick. We have four foot diameter targets, and I tell them specifically what ring to aim for, and if they have the same sight picture every time, then they can hit it consistently.

Probably the most important thing to do is to get someone on a LIGHT weight bow first to learn the basics, then progress up to heavier bows. New folks tend to hold the bow at full draw for much longer than necessary while getting the correct sight picture, and if the bow is too heavy, the bow arm starts to shake, the shots go wild, and folks get discouraged. The woman in the picture is shooting about a 20 pound bow.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 10:33:06 am »
Once fundamentals are learned (stance, release, etc.) I teach instinctive shooting with target focus. Much like throwing a baseball. Both eyes open with complete focus only on the spot on the target you want to hit. Aim small, miss small.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 11:27:20 am »
I started shooting a cotton ball on the ground 6 feet in front of me. That got my eyes and hand on the same page. Then over time extended my range. I still go through miserable streaks where I will force myself to start over on a cotton ball on the ground. I shoot 100% instinctive, never learned any other methods. I prefer to not care about specific yardages, rather just know if its too far.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 12:15:26 pm »
I've read and reread "Become the Arrow". I use that method of shooting. It's pretty much instinctive shooting once you get the hang of it. You don't need to know distances until you get to your point on range. Mine is about 30 yards and that is regularly one of my best shots.  To far for hunting for me, but target shooting long distances is great fun. 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 07:37:42 pm »
I shoot instinctively and learned from reading G. Fred Asbel's book "INSTINCTIVE SHOOTING". Like Adam said, once you get the fundamentals down all you do is look at what you want to hit. This type of shooting takes lots of practice but there is no thinking involved(at least for me), just look and shoot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DQ

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 10:49:05 am »
From my experience of teaching beginners, who have no idea how to point the arrow, the gap system is easiest to learn quickly.  I feel that even gap shooters soon begin to "instinctively" point the arrow, even though they still use the gap.  With practice, many people will forget about seeing the gap and just shoot instinctively.

The DVD series, Masters Of The Barebow, explains several shooting methods and shows many well known archers shooting.  I think every archer can learn something from watching the DVD's, especially from the coaching in volume 3.

Wooden Spring - Thanks for taking the opportunity to teach new shooters.  Archery can be enjoyable at all levels!

Darryl

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 10:57:23 am »
I've played for years shooting at old soccer balls filled with foam  (more exciting then watching the game) and then switch to tennis balls when it gets easy.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 09:26:52 am »
DQ:
"Masters Of The Barebow"

Thanks for the recommendation, I will certainly check it out!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 09:38:55 am »
I have gotten much better in the last four years and the method I use is the following. For all  distances tip just below target at start of draw then target focus 100% on the smallest dot till release. Never gapping just shooting.  I did the gap thing and it works but it is harder imo. For some reason unknown to me the above method works amazing and you never have to think about distance.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 01:07:27 pm »
John, I'm pretty sure what you are doing is considered gap shooting. That's the Ferguson method. Do you see your arrow tip in your blurry peripherals?  I do that.  I'm reading the Asbell books right now. I got the whole set for Christmas and am enjoying them.  I may have my terms mixed up w/ the gap method. I shoot the way Ferguson teaches. Yardage is unnecessary to know until point on range.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 09:24:47 pm »
I can't resists this one Derick.......But after shooting with you at Scottsburg I'm not sure your using the Ferguson method.. >:D :) :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 10:49:06 pm »
John, I'm pretty sure what you are doing is considered gap shooting. That's the Ferguson method. Do you see your arrow tip in your blurry peripherals?  I do that.  I'm reading the Asbell books right now. I got the whole set for Christmas and am enjoying them.  I may have my terms mixed up w/ the gap method. I shoot the way Ferguson teaches. Yardage is unnecessary to know until point on range.
well after I start the draw I try real hard to never see anything but the dot like tunnel vision.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 09:15:17 am »
I can't resists this one Derick.......But after shooting with you at Scottsburg I'm not sure your using the Ferguson method.. >:D :) :) ;)
DBar

Bill, You were bragging on me the first half of the range. It's after we had to wait for you to go back to the truck and change bows that I started shooting bad.  ;D  You're right though, I ain't no Ferguson. And tend to wear down after twenty or so shots. We'll see how it goes the weekend after next. You gonna be there on the 1st? dp