Author Topic: Fletching - how long should the feathers be?  (Read 15637 times)

Offline Bombadil072

Fletching - how long should the feathers be?
« on: January 18, 2014, 03:46:42 pm »
I did a cursory search, but I couldn't readily find the answer to this question?  How long should the feathers be when fletching for arrows used with a self-bow?  I am shooting a vine maple bow that pulls 55# at 28 inches.  I have been advised to try arrows around 29 inches with 125 grain field points.  I am working with the Home Depot bamboo guidelines for shafting material.  I have arrows that use 5 1/2 inch fletching, but I don't know why that length was chosen.

Who can help out with how and why to use a specific length?

Thanks,

Jerome

Offline Mohawk13

Re: Fletching - how long should the feathers be?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:53:36 pm »
Generally a heavier arrow will require a long fletch for stable flight. Also the point weight is a factor in length...ie heavier point, longer fletch. This has been my experience in arrow building. My steel pointed, 30" arrows I use a 5" shield cut fletch. Although conversely I have been using a 5 1/2" fletch on the stone tipped arrows I have been making lately.
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 04:21:09 pm »
Ideally you want fletching to be as small as you can get away with and still get good arrow flight. I have always used 5 1/2", high back fletching but some use 5" and some smaller. I think 5" to 5 1/2" would be a good place to start. As far as fletching patterns I like more traditional styles and burn my own pattern now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 08:07:18 pm »
I'm with Pat B on everything, but I cut my feathers with scissors.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Bombadil072

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 08:32:21 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I was currently looking to purchase pre-cut feathers online, and didn't know if I could get away with 4 inches.  I think I will try 5 and see how they fly.

Eventually, I want to work on cutting my own, but I am taking baby steps for now.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 06:05:55 am »
I use a Chopper and make 5 1/2" high=back Shields. Has always worked well for Me - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 09:21:49 am »
I use a lot of 4" now. I was strictly a 5" guy for 12-15 years. But after playing around, I cant see a difference with 4" and I get a lot more feathers from a wing.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 02:01:25 pm »
Depends....if you are shooting field points you can use smaller feathers. If shooting big broadheads then you need to keep them stable with the rear guidance system. Most bows will brace around 6 inches so you can shoot a 6 inch feather without getting into the handle. Also mentioned is shooting a heavy point. The heaver or more the FOC is on your arrow the more the feathers are effective and therefore you can go a little smaller feather size....Good Luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline PortlandJoe

• nock. draw. LOOOOSE!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 03:52:24 am »
most of my warbow shafts have fletching that are anywhere from 6-9 inches and cut nice and low.
my arrows for my #60 recurve has fletching ranging from 5-8 inches depending on the arrow and head

i try to keep my fletching cut low and long and i've been very happy with the results

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 08:18:36 pm »
I use a lot of 4" now. I was strictly a 5" guy for 12-15 years. But after playing around, I cant see a difference with 4" and I get a lot more feathers from a wing.

Pearl,
I think your years of experience at tuning arrows to your bow has help you in that decision.  I'm just now getting to those thoughts with a few of my arrows.  but for beginner arrowsmiths  5" I think helps the learning curve and produces good flight for marginal spined arrows for a specific bow.
Just IMHO....
DBar

Offline Bombadil072

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 05:49:53 pm »
Awesome thoughts!  I had read somewhere else that the fletching does more to stabilize the arrow the longer it is in flight...so, by that rationale, shooting field points at 30-50 yards, I might not notice as much difference between 4-6 inches? 

Offline Bombadil072

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 05:51:01 pm »
I use a Chopper and make 5 1/2" high=back Shields. Has always worked well for Me - Bob.

Also, what do you mean by high-back shields?  Are they taller at the widest (back) end?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 08:48:34 pm »
Yep, that's right a taller fletch off of the arrow shaft.
DBar

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 10:30:30 pm »
My question is if you go for a 6 - 6 1/2" fletching, your brace height would have to be higher. That would impede bow performance correct...... ???
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 08:22:15 am »
My question is if you go for a 6 - 6 1/2" fletching, your brace height would have to be higher. That would impede bow performance correct...... ???

It definitely shortens your effective draw length.  But, it could increase poundage a bit.
DBar