Author Topic: Looking for Rivercane 1' wide or more for blowgun  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
Looking for Rivercane 1' wide or more for blowgun
« on: January 18, 2014, 07:09:12 pm »
looking for some rivercane thats at least an 1" wide and at least 3' long. multiple pieces. also looking for long straight honey locust thorns 6-8" long
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline 1442

Re: Looking for Rivercane 1' wide or more for blowgun
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 10:35:13 pm »
I can get some cane 1" diameter but I don't think its river cane. It is actually straighter, the nodes are farther apart and there is practicaly no flat spots at the nodes. Its weaker spine than rivercane like for arrows but the 1" diameter will be real stiff and its thick walled like rivercane.
Probably better for a blow gun than rivercane unless you just have to have the river cane. I've not actually cut any that big but I think there are some that are mighty close if they aint a inch. I can go check it out on Tuesday if you're interested.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 10:54:19 am »
IfI remember, I'll take some snips and take a walk later today. There is a big HLocust in the next field over from my place. I'll see if it has any that long. That seems pretty long though. Will you be cutting off the two horizontal spines to get the 6/8" length?  I'll see what I can do, how many do you want/need? dp

p.s. If I get these for you and if 1442 gets you the cane, you'll need to do a build along for all to see how it's done.  ;D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline 1442

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 10:04:27 pm »
I worked until dark today and didn't make it to the cane. Will soon.

Offline 1442

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 12:30:29 am »
OK I looked at the cane and the biggest was only about 3/4 inch. Too bad because its really nice cane.
At work today putting on a metal roof I spied a bamboo patch along a drainage ditch and went and checked it out. I cut a few pieces from about 1 inch to 1-1/8, but it is bamboo with closer nodes and a flat spot the entire length of the innernodes. The boo was over 20 feet tall and holds its diamiter well with pretty thick walls.
If this would work for you, PM me and we'll go from there.
Otherwise I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for some large cane.

Offline ck3282

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 01:31:31 am »
I can get you all the h locust thorns you'd want but they're no where near.that long. 4 to 6" is the longest I've ever seen them with most in the 3" range. Also i probably have some cane 1" diam if your still interested.

Offline 1442

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 12:41:20 am »
Found this today. I think it's cane, 1" to 1-1/8" with 18" to 21" nodes and slightly crooked. No flat spots between nodes.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 11:20:35 pm »
What happened to ya Stalkingfox? Took a great walk w/ my boys this eve to the honey locust tree. Great ice on the creek, some of it has frozen so clear that you can look down through it at the bottom of the creek. My oldest boy said, "wouldn't it be cool to see an arrow head down there?" and my youngest responded with, "then we'd have to break the ice."  ;D made me smile. Here is a pic of four thorns I cut off the tree. There appeared to be some a bit longer up higher, but I'm short and wasn't about to try to climb around or lean on the tree to cut them. That is a 6" ruler. Only one like the three pointed one I saw, all the rest have a lot of side jaggers. Get back w/ us, I was counting on a build-along.  ;) dp

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 10:43:45 am »
I apologise, I have been MIA for one hot minute. Life issues, aside from that those all look great!!
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 07:48:35 pm »
Now that I see this post again it explains why I have those on my shelf. Lol

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 08:57:48 pm »