Author Topic: New Zealand  (Read 21625 times)

Offline rockynz

Re: New Zealand
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 08:17:02 pm »
Yeah I think I may split it into two staves today and debark it. Then rough it out a bit so it relives some tension because its already starting to split. I'll end up with 2 staves, one reflexed and one deflexed.

Offline Shamusrobert

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 02:34:28 am »
Welcome along Rockynz, more kiwis the merrier. Plenty of bow wood in nz, Crogacht pretty much covered the rest.

Offline rockynz

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 03:42:53 am »
Hi Shamusrobert,

thanks for the welcome. I saw your Karnuka bow on here and have to say I was very impressed! Just the sort of thing I'd like to make. I split my Barberry log last night and I didn't go as planned. Ended up with just one stave! I had thought it would be a straight forward bit of wood but when I got the bark off I uncovered a heap of knots and humps and bumps. Will be a steep learning curve to get a bow out of it. Going to find me some Marnuka at the weekend.

cheers
rocky

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 04:41:01 am »
You should be able to work around the knots and bumps, that's half the fun.

Offline Shamusrobert

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 05:24:55 am »
Thanks Rockynz, I'm not sure which is the best, manuka or kanuka one old fella tells me he prefers manuka but kanuka grows bigger and straighter so the better candidate to get a good stave from. The weta likes them too. ;)

Offline rockynz

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2014, 07:26:57 pm »
@Crogacht, yeah it will be fun. Just din not expect to be making a character bow on my first attempt.

@Shamusrobert, I have to travel to get Kanuka but there is some Manuka just down the road on a mates place. I love weta's, cool little beasties...........

Offline Lumirek

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 09:02:12 pm »
Hello guys,

i am young bowmaker [30]  from Europe, now i am on on the trip over Australia and 30.12. i will visit NZ for many weeks. I would like to met other bowmakers to share skills, informations ect...

I some body insterested and want to see me, please contact me

lank.jiri@gmail.com

Thanks

Lumirek