Author Topic: Spoon arrowheads vs mild steel points  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Mike_H

Spoon arrowheads vs mild steel points
« on: January 19, 2014, 03:21:31 pm »
Anyone done a comparison?  Do the stainless steel spoons hold a longer edge compared to the mild steel trade points?  Are they pretty stiff compared to mild steel of the same thickness?

Sorry for the questions but I'm considering spoon steel points for hunting.

Offline Mohawk13

Re: Spoon arrowheads vs mild steel points
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 03:26:22 pm »
Mike,
            I have used steel, silver plated Wm. Rodgers spoons for points. You can find them cheap at Goodwill and most junk stores. The older ones seem to hold a better edge than stainless steel and are easier to sharpen.
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 03:32:48 pm »
Mike,
            I have used steel, silver plated Wm. Rodgers spoons for points. You can find them cheap at Goodwill and most junk stores. The older ones seem to hold a better edge than stainless steel and are easier to sharpen.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 09:40:51 pm »
I've used them. They weigh more. Easy to make.  Old knives w. plastic handles sometimes have short round tangs that work good for cane. Like this one. Probly doesn't have the width to hunt deer, but make good stumpers and small game heads. These are pretty heavy, this one is 196 grains. Sorry, that;s not what you asked about. Good thing about spoon points is they are easy to come by cheap, yard sales too, and table spoons are pretty big when flat so the options are nearly endless. Have fun, post pics, dpg
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:48:37 am by bowtarist »
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)