Author Topic: Spring Thaw Selfbow Shoot at Hawkeye Bowmen  (Read 14548 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Spring Thaw Selfbow Shoot at Hawkeye Bowmen
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 08:26:29 am »
Man that Hawk is a beauty,maybe when I retire I can get up to this one,I know a lot of the guys/gal [just one] Barb and meet Chucky's wife once , they are some mighty fine people for sure and know how to have a good time. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 10:27:00 am »
I wanted to post some additional prize pictures but I am having "technical difficulties" doing so.
So far, in addition to the hawk, we will be awarding a handcrafted wormy butternut and mahogany box turkee caller made by Buffalo Hunter calls, a really cool fire piston made by Rob Marcotte, a knapped chert knife blade and a french style fire steel made by Blacksmith Ohio Rusty, primitive arrow making supplies donated by Dino and a hand carved spoon made by Kevin "Buffalo Gobbler"
Snow is all gone in the woods, temps are getting a bit warmer.
We have been cutting a bunch of campfire wood.
Right now plans are to setup a couple of 3D courses of about 10 targets each. We will probably have about 20 targets out total. Final plans are being made for the various contests.
Local Cub Scout troop will be there on Friday evening to learn a bit about archery and primitive skills.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 09:31:58 pm »
Really nice weather this morning so We finished up splitting and stacking plenty of campfire wood (over 10 cords) today so we should be OK if it gets cold. The trail into the camping area has dried up quite a bit but if it gets muddy we can haul folks camps in with the Gators and Trailers (also some camp spots right down by the parking area). I am anxious to try out my new lodge (my little Grandson will be camping with me this year). We have a open shoot (all types of bows) on April 13th and then we will be setting the targets up for the Spring Thaw Selfbow Shoot. It is just a few weeks away now,

Offline BrianS

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 02:23:17 pm »
We finished up the courses today (22 targets total). Still need to put up some paper targets on the practice range but all the big jobs are done. The hill where most everyone camps is drying out nice. Plenty of campfire wood cut and stacked. The long range weather forecast looks pretty good. Kevin showed me the prizes he made for the cooking contest and they are really nice.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 09:18:57 am »
The Spring Thaw is almost here!
It starts this Fri. I can't wait to see everyone.
I just want to remind everyone that the campfire cooking contest is Fri. evening, if you can burn sometihng on a campfire, you can enter the contest, bring your best dish and you might win !

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 09:45:37 am »
Yall have fun,wished I could be there. :) :) See some of yall in a week or so. ;)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 02:52:51 pm »
I was at Hawkeye this morning with my little Grandson Michael. Great morning with Sunny skies and temps around 70. Everything is drying out nice, the leeks are up all over the woods and we found a bunch of snakes out sunning themselves. Shot our bows some, checked out various animal tracks, found some woodpecker holes that the birds are using for nests, looked at some spring wild flowers that were coming up. Like I said it was a great morning. Just a few more days until the Shoot!

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 04:47:59 pm »
BrianS:  Like Pappy, I wish someday to make it.  Unfortunately, we go to Twin Oaks and stay the entire week previous to the Tennessee Classic.  It would be tough to peel my wife away from TN  on that weekend.  I'll just have to plan on one of your other shoots.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 07:59:24 pm »
What a work of art that hawk is. 2 years from now I get my 5th week of vaca, this gathering is on my short list. After meeting Kevin and Chuck, I cant help but feel the need to go! Plus Ive never been to or through NY state.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 09:25:26 am »
Pappy and Matt, because of the cold weather fluctuations in our area in April we are thinking of moving this shoot to early June next year.

Chris, it was a pleasure meeting you at the Classic last year, we'd love to have you at Hawkeye any time! Also were close to Niagara Falls so you gotta check the falls out if you get a chance to visit us.

Kevin

Offline Forestbliss

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 09:26:25 am »
Hawkeye's Spring Thaw/ Primitive Shoot is a relaxing, fun, and good heart-ed gathering of folks who love primitive archery. I enjoyed this shoot for many years until I moved from the region. Wherever I am and whatever I am doing at the time of this shoot, a part of me is there!  If you want to experience a respectful group of bowmen and women who share their skills openly, make the trip and say hello to the forest for me! Denise

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 08:04:44 am »
Warmer weather would definitely be an attraction for me !
Don't forget that Cloverdale is  usually the second weekend of June
maybe someday I can come and enjoy you folks event !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 09:12:11 am »
Thanks for the reminder about Cloverdale Guy, avoiding conflicting dates with other shoots is something we're going to have to think about.

Kevin

Offline BrianS

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 10:26:22 am »
Some of the Hawkeye Members have their camps up (It is starting to look like a Primitive Rendezvous!) My Grandson and I will be living like Kings in the new tent with the Wood stove and dining fly (he did not want to camp in my usual diamond trail tarp because "Papa there is no door and animals can walk right in") It is more to pack but it's worth it so he will camp with me. We have plans to enter Grandmas secret recipe in Kevins Cook off. I am looking forward to running this years One Log Fire Contest. Shooting bows, throwing tomahawks and hanging out with my Grandson! It don't get much better than that!
Gates open to Non Hawkeye Members on Friday at 10am.
Weather forecast:
Friday  Mostly cloudy with a chance for showers, with a high near 65.
Friday Night Chance for Showers with a low around 40.
Saturday A chance of showers. with a high near 53.
Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36.
Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 52.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 04:45:47 pm »
Thank You to everyone who attended this year's Shoot. Your support is greatly appreciated.
Hawkeye Bowmen