Author Topic: Stupid Rabbits.  (Read 5690 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Stupid Rabbits.
« on: November 24, 2013, 10:24:22 am »
Man this place I have been hunting has got several nice ones. 

Unfortunately I can never seem to get a shot.  They stay DEEP in the thick cover that I can't really get into or in the high grass and I don't know they are there till I practically step on them and they bolt. 

I've seen something like 12 rabbits.. non presented me with a shot. 

I think all those youtube videos of buys shooting a frozen rabbit at the edge of a field are staged.  Somebody's pet rabbit taken to graze. 

With light snow on the ground now I can see where they tend to be in any real numbers or where they are highly active. Guess I could Hide and wait in that area but for all that effort I'd just assume take a deer.

Offline adb

Re: Stupid Rabbits.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 10:58:24 am »
Rabbits tend to hide in thick cover and then bust out at the last moment. When they do, they usually run in a big circle and return to where they started. It's their home spot, so to speak. If you bump one, just stop and wait a bit... you  might see it again in a few minutes.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 08:43:14 pm »
   Hey PRARIE we stalk ribbits everyyear in JAN.FEB.
  Do this start on the down wind side of where your going to hunt. Before you start use a hawk call, I 've used a yote call where you sound like a pup. But the hawk works alot better. I blow them as I start stalking (looking)from the down wind side.
 I blow my call every 5 to 10 min's. The rabbits will hold tight and not jump out of their pots. It's up to you to see them and get a shot. They even see you at a few yards and still hold tight. You have to actuly kick them out of their pots.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 10:25:47 am »
If they are running , you aren't spotting them soon enough. ( obvious, eh?) If there is a high population of predators in the area ,  they tend to be way more skittish. If you see a lot of wolf/coyote/bobcat scat with rabbit  fur in it You might have a more difficult time.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 01:21:26 pm »
Is there a such thing as a rabbit call?

It needs to say "Oh my god this YUMMY!.. and completely safe to just sit and graze on".

Like I said they tend ot be in knee deep or deepr grass.  In some cases the grass is folded over and they are under that.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 10:17:23 am »
and never forget the dreaded "bunny shield",, they all got em ..amd they are hard to bust!  :laugh:
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 03:31:07 pm »
and never forget the dreaded "bunny shield",, they all got em ..amd they are hard to bust!  :laugh:

Every bit as thick and impenetrable as the sheild on a 400 lb boar hog.  I know some real tough guys that take shots to other body parts than the shield and then follow them wounded rabbits into the brush.  Suicical, any way you slice it.  As fast as they are, you are hosed if that rabbit turns on you.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 07:47:14 pm »
Keep after them, they will screw up sooner or later and you will get one.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 07:34:08 pm »
death awaits with big nasty pointed teeth!!!   its got a mean streak a mile wide!!!!     i tried to warn you ..but you said its just a little bunny!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 09:31:36 pm »

Every bit as thick and impenetrable as the sheild on a 400 lb boar hog.  I know some real tough guys that take shots to other body parts than the shield and then follow them wounded rabbits into the brush.  Suicical, any way you slice it.  As fast as they are, you are hosed if that rabbit turns on you.

The only thing I'm envisioning is the rabbit from Monty Python hahaha
The area I usually hunt for rabbits is easier to hunt with my bird, let him to his death from above thing lol
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 08:45:50 pm »
You have to make your medicine and call them to you.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline bushboy

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 05:14:44 pm »
this may sound totally crazy,if a rabbit bolts on you holler"HEY" as loud as you can and most times it will stop dead and look around.a referee whistle works the best,not kidding.then again it may just be the east coast canadian cotton tails it works on :laugh:!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 10:23:15 am »
X 2 what bushboy said.    You just have to be ready to shoot right then, cause they may not stop but for a second.  Alabama cottontails stop for a whistle too ;).
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 04:53:16 am »
Learn to do an injured rabbit squeak. I finally got it to a point where all the rabbits nearby go straight up onto their back legs and then start hopping towards you. Pretend to be an injured baby....really high pitched short incessant squeaks are the key. I read about Ishi using this technique and figured I'd try and learn it.....i'm glad I did! Predators will come straight to you as well.
The advice about using a hawk call is also good and the whistle when they run.
As i'm sure you've found out rabbits ain't stupid........but some humans are!

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 02:42:14 pm »
this may sound totally crazy,if a rabbit bolts on you holler"HEY" as loud as you can and most times it will stop dead and look around.a referee whistle works the best,not kidding.then again it may just be the east coast canadian cotton tails it works on

tried it today. It works great
Was out with my MTB (no bow) and had many rabbits run. tried to shout "HEY" very loud and they allways stopped for a second or two (never more). Happened 5 or 6 times. Very nice to know. Thankyou.