Author Topic: 52" osage follow along  (Read 33413 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Looking for design suggestions
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 01:54:10 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. 

PatM, siyahs are not something I'm ready to attempt at this point. 

JonW, I might have to take you up on that offer one day  ;)  I think I'll keep this one and see what happens with it.

I cut it off at 52" and went with a 1 3/8" width for right now.  It will be a little narrower than that once its done.  I tapered the last 10" of each limb down to 1/2" tips.  I kept the handle full width for now but I would like to taper it down some once I start tillering.  Due to the crack I shifted my center line over.

Since my band saw is broke at the moment I used my draw knife to take it down to lines.  I was able to remove all of the damaged area.  I've started thinning the limbs.  I might be able to get it on the caul today if things keep going smooth.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 02:08:23 pm »
That's pretty much what I started with on Gus' R/D he just got to close the 13' swap.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 04:39:01 pm »
Looking great man are you planning a follow along?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 04:40:32 pm »
Wow!  Last night a stave, today a bow.  Lookin' good.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 04:43:59 pm »
Unbacked flipped tips sounds and looks good Clint. Or, you could do a sinew backing tutorial at Moontree  ;D Ozzy would agree  8)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 05:12:31 pm »
You really shouldn't be intimidated by extending a bow with siyahs. Very easy to do and opens up huge possibilities for shorter staves when you don't actually want a short bow.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 07:40:26 pm »
I'm not exactly a tall person PatM.  My full draw is 24"-25".  I have been able to make some pretty short staves work for me.  I have a good stave collection so if I want something longer its not a problem.  And to be honest, glued on siyahs don't really interest me.  Laminated bows don't do much for me either.  I have absolutely no desire to make one.  I don't have anything against them.  I enjoy seeing the beautiful laminated and more detailed bows that are posted.  Selfbows and natural material backed self bows are what I am in to.  Later down the road my interests might change but for now I'm a simple meat and potato bowyer. 

Tracy, I might be able to do a sinew demo at Moontree if anyone wants to see it.  I'll have to get another one ready for it.

IdahoMatt, I hadn't really planned on a follow along but I can if anybody cares to see it.   

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 07:41:12 pm »
Its on!   Good looking starting profile there Clint. 52" unbacked and bendy handle, its osage and you know it can handle it. Unless of course your one of them long armed goons that draws 29-30". :D
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 07:43:59 pm »
Its on!   Good looking starting profile there Clint. 52" unbacked and bendy handle, its osage and you know it can handle it. Unless of course your one of them long armed goons that draws 29-30". :D

I don't know if we got a chance to meet at the Classic.  If we had you would know I don't draw anywhere near 29"-30"  ;D

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 07:49:45 pm »
We met. I know your a short drawing guy like me, 25" is a good day for me. I don't think I have short arms, just a hunched over shooting style I guess. :o
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 07:59:01 pm »
I for one Clint would be very interested in a follow along.  I get a lot out of watching how others tackle different issues.  Be cool to see what you do with this and how you gonna do it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 08:34:33 pm »
Clint
Like the road you took on that stave.... I'm going to put that one in the memory banks.  as far as the sinew back tutorial at Moon Tree, I'd like to see it.  I do see more sinew back bows in my near future.  :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline TRACY

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 08:47:51 pm »
Sounds like I better pound some sinew out and pick out a nearly done stave to sinew at Moontree. Been a few moons since I sinew backed one.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 08:52:52 pm »
Do it TRACY! I think that would be great! 
Thanks
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 09:57:07 pm »
Sorry BB.  It takes me a couple times meeting someone new to remember down there.  You meet so many people its hard to keep them all straight.

Slimbob, I really enjoy following your recent rescue post.  I'll post a few pictures along the way.

Tracy and Bill, sounds like a plan.  I'll bring my supplies.

I thinned the limbs and narrowed the handle.  It is bending when pushed on the floor. 

I might have went a little to narrow on the grip.  I think it might work out once I get the limbs thinned down some more. 

I only have one caul so I had to use a lot of spacers to make it work.  The three middle spacers are the same height.  The rest gradually taper down.  I tried straightening out the twist and bend on the one end.  Tomorrow if it looks OK I'll flip the tips just a little.