Author Topic: 2014 bow trade, read all the rules before signing up. CLOSED!!!  (Read 39497 times)

Offline 2014_Trade_Runner

Re: 2014 bow trade, please read all the rules before signing up
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 01:10:12 pm »
BOWMAN53 AND JW_Halverson

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 02:06:23 pm »

I done think that question can be answered by one person speaking for all.  Everyone has their own reasons.  But your very question suggests that you haven't been around here long enough yet to get a feel for this group.  The idea is not about getting someone else's work (although that's pretty sweet), the idea is to pour your heart and soul into a bow for someone else to enjoy.  When I make a bow for someone on a trade, I put a huge amount of extra effort into that bow, way more effort than I would exert on a bow for myself.  Why?  Because it is far more satisfying to do so.  If I received a bow from the greenest bowyer on here, I would treasure it because it was their best work to date specifically made for me.  The spirit of giving your best is far more important than the bow itself.  If you don't understand that, stick around.  I believe that in time you will.  This group is like no other.  Welcome to it!  Josh
[/quote]

Well stated Josh. Another reason for myself at least is that until my first trade i had never seen a wood bow in person except the ones i had made myself. Just being able to hold and look closely at a bow made by someone else in person can teach you things you just cant pick up by reading and looking at pictures. It can help you become better at bow making.
Steve Bennett

Offline 2014_Trade_Runner

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 03:36:45 pm »
ttt
BOWMAN53 AND JW_Halverson

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 03:45:55 pm »
i'm in, fun fun fun fun fun
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 03:53:27 pm »
I'm in too.   Pm sent.  Lots of fun, this trade is.
Russ

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 04:30:04 pm »
I just do it to get some poor sap to take one of  the monstrosities I make >:D ...cant give them away otherwise lol
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline country

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 07:05:51 pm »
I'm in.  ........
Looking forward to another one .....

Offline pincushin

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 08:12:26 pm »
im in on this one if you guys will let me in I've built 20+ bows without breaking for my dads costumers just haven't got time to put many on here

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 08:22:15 pm »
I am ineligible, and I've never posted here before, so I hope I don't offend anybody by asking this. Why trade? We are all here to make and shoot our own bows, because of the IMMENSE  satisfaction  ;D , so why opt so shoot somebody else's bow?

Tremendous question to ask yourself before getting into this trade.  Seriously.   This is the gut check question, along with asking yourself will you have the tenacity to stick with it, and can you muster the wherewithal to send something safe and respectable?

As for myself, I have received bows from folks with rudimentary skills and some with rockstar talents.  In EVERY case, I have learned something new from looking at how they solved problems and created solutions.  Also, in EVERY case, I received a decent shooter.  I still have every one of them but one (Sorry Ken75...that laminated longbow just looked better in that young lady's hands AND she shot it better than me).

I am not participating in the trade this year.  The prior years drove me to the brink each and every time.  I stress out way out of proportion and in every case I was not fully happy with my results.  Plus, I think I didn't meet the deadline in any of the trades.  So, those that can...do!  Those that can't....teach.  And those that are utterly worthless....ADMINISTRATE! 

MWHAHAHAHA!   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2014, 08:30:16 pm »
I just do it to get some poor sap to take one of  the monstrosities I make >:D ...cant give them away otherwise lol

That's a load of crap, bean-boy.  I happen to have that kestrel bow you sent sitting on my windowsill in the living room, all the other bows are in the garage.  It gets to rest in the warmth and sunshine while all the others languish out in the cold.

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2014, 08:35:05 pm »
I'm in didn't get in last year, ready to roll.
"Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying."
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2014, 08:37:38 pm »
I'm in didn't get in last year, ready to roll.

Barely legal, baby! 201 posts.   >:D

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 08:54:55 pm »
Jw i think you live on the brink of madness lol

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 09:07:51 pm »
what is the point of the 200 posts?
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline Weylin

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2014, 09:12:44 pm »
So that we have enough interactions to feel like we somewhat know you as an individual. People who have established themselves as a reliable and respectful member of the community are less likely to flake out on the trade. (something that happens every year) That's my interpretation, anyway.