Author Topic: Where do you get your leather?  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Marks

Where do you get your leather?
« on: January 29, 2014, 01:34:30 pm »
I have no plans currently for making my own leather even though we did recently have 2 cows die. I just want to buy some. I don't have to foggiest clue where to buy raw leather. I live about an our from some Amish country but I'd rather not make that drive just for leather.  Where do you get yours?

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Where do you get your leather?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 01:48:59 pm »
K. Bellum Leather in Nashville, Indiana. I've made several trips over there for certain peeps on this site to buy leather for them.  I bet they have a website, if not them then Moonshine Leather, they are owned by the same owner. I hear there is a BIG outlet in Indy, not far from where I work and hope to make it over there sometime soon, not really what I feel like doing after getting off work an hour from home though.  Shoot me a PM if you need some leather and we can discuss the details. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 01:56:34 pm »
Moscow Hide and Fur and Crazy Crow both have leather and both are PA sponsors.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marks

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 02:09:53 pm »
Moscow Hide and Fur and Crazy Crow both have leather and both are PA sponsors.

I'm hoping to find some local. I don't like ordering when I don't have to. I like having it now. If I do go the internet route I had planned on using sponsors for sure. I just don't know what types of store to look in. Fabric, craft, hardware, antique????

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 02:34:38 pm »
you can get some at Micheals , maybe hobby lobby, saddle shops, I get some of mine at a flea mart, and I get a lot of handle leather for free at the upholstery shop, I just got two big garbage bags full of hair on cow hide there
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 03:28:24 pm »
I get mine from friends, roadside junk furniture, furniture store samples are always easy to find, or any other place I can find it free or dang close to it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Don Case

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 03:37:17 pm »
Look for leather coats in thrift stores. I saw an XXL woman's full length genuine leather suede coat for $24. Enough leather for 100 handles.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 03:51:01 pm »
Good call Don. I got a black and a blue leather long coat at a garage sale for a dollar or something like that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 04:01:52 pm »
K. Bellum Leather in Nashville, Indiana. I've made several trips over there for certain peeps on this site to buy leather for them.  I bet they have a website, if not them then Moonshine Leather, they are owned by the same owner. I hear there is a BIG outlet in Indy, not far from where I work and hope to make it over there sometime soon, not really what I feel like doing after getting off work an hour from home though.  Shoot me a PM if you need some leather and we can discuss the details. dp

DP can get you exactly what you want to...

Jon

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 04:05:16 pm »
I have found leather purses at Thrift stores for next to nothing. Some pretty nice sized pieces and once in a while a neat buckle for some future project. You just may want to go to a neighboring town so your buddies don't see you buying a purse!

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 07:04:09 pm »
I buy a few belts, especially the wide ones if you can find them.  Pay a buck each for them a thrift shops.  Just bought one the other day as a mater of fact.  Nice thick tan leather belt 1 3/4"  wide.  Good for making stringers.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 08:11:42 pm »
What size are you looking for? Bowtarist and I hit the same place mentioned and I have enough 6" by 6" squares for a lifetime of bow handles. Pm him if that is what you're after.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Marks

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 10:12:41 pm »
Not looking for handles. Looking for leather pad for my leg for flint knapping. Stuff like that.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 10:18:14 pm »
Not looking for handles. Looking for leather pad for my leg for flint knapping. Stuff like that.

Pm bowtarist. He's a knapper and knows what you'll need for a leg pad and hand pads.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 03:33:16 pm »
I get mine at tandy's leather, locally. But I'd like to look into importing some raw tooling leather. I know you would have to buy in bulk, but it would be worth it down the road.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair