Author Topic: Hudson Bay knife  (Read 9081 times)

Offline Stoker

Hudson Bay knife
« on: January 29, 2014, 05:06:40 pm »
Working on this hudson bay knife... Got a question... Got it roughed out... Do I bevel the top to bring in the clip point or leave it???? Want to be as authentic as possible... Just joined a BP club and fella says they throw knives and hawks.. So I thought I'd build a knife to play with.. If it works good I'll try beating a RR spike into a hawk... Any thoughts welcome
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline KHalverson

Re: Hudson Bay knife
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:27:07 pm »
Leroy
the shape looks great
most of the hb knives I have seen do not have a sharpened clip.
what was the steel from(looks like an old saw blade)?
when you get ready to pound out a hawk let me know I have done a few and can get ya pointed in the right direction.
Kevin

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 06:32:42 pm »
knife throwing is fun but i just traded away my gil hibben set.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 07:22:22 pm »
Thanks Kevin - Not sure on the steel... Freind gave me some.. It's fair hard stuff had to annell to make cutting and shaping easier... I'll have to get ahold of you when I harden and temper just to make sure I go about it right.. When the hawk gets started I'll be in contact for sure...
Bowman - What doesn't sound fun about throwing knives and hawks... Mom says no.. Bp crowd encourages it... win win
Thanks Leroy

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 07:35:40 pm »
lol. what style of throwing do you use? spin or no spin(never been good at that)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:34:22 pm »
I have an old original HB knife.  There is no false edge, so no need to taper.  HOWEVER, if you taper the tang from the blade to the butt of the grip, it would be authentic. 

Will try to dig mine out and post some pics for you.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 10:32:42 am »
bowman- I haven't really tried yet just getting into it
JW - Love to see the pic.. Was wondering about the handle.. Scales probaly birch or maple as they were a trade good...
Thanks Leroy

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 12:29:31 pm »
 Leroy,
   You may already know this . If you don't ,however,Type in" Hudson Bay knife" in google search under the images tab and you will get more pics of Modern and originals than you can imagine. It's a great tool for research and inspiration . If you click on the pics  you like it will bring you right to the site it's posted in  . Found a lot of great sites this way. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 03:24:01 pm »
LA is right.  There were many HB knife designs.  Mine is one that was probably purchased from a blacksmith working "on spec" for the fur trade and not necessarily commissioned by the HBC. 

Having trouble getting into Photobucket at the moment.  Will post the pics as soon as I can break thru.  If it comes to it, I will dig up the knife and take new photos to email to you. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:38:11 pm by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 03:27:23 pm »
Leroy,
   You may already know this . If you don't ,however,Type in" Hudson Bay knife" in google search under the images tab and you will get more pics of Modern and originals than you can imagine. It's a great tool for research and inspiration . If you click on the pics  you like it will bring you right to the site it's posted in  . Found a lot of great sites this way.

Thanks for the tip... WAY to much info... I now understand what JW speaks of with the tapered handle  8)... I can't remember where I got the layout for the knife it was a while ago... There were different styles suppose had to do with the time and region... So many knives so little time ::).......
JW - Still wanna see your knife ;) ;) ;)
Thanks Leroy

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 04:02:29 pm »
if your really building this knife for the puropse of throwing id skip putting handle scales on it, unless your throwing at a soft traget they will just break from the impact. 

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 05:29:31 pm »
if your really building this knife for the puropse of throwing id skip putting handle scales on it, unless your throwing at a soft traget they will just break from the impact.

not bad advice!
but why couldn't you pin on brass bolsters at the rear of the handle  for added protection  and it may also help balance the knife out some.
now im just thinking out loud here  I haven't thrown a knife in years except if one cracks during quench.
and knock on wood that don't happen very often any more.
Kevin

Offline seabass

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 05:50:24 pm »
that looks like it is going to be one cool knife Leroy.i can't wait to see it complete.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 06:16:55 pm »

not bad advice!
but why couldn't you pin on brass bolsters at the rear of the handle  for added protection  and it may also help balance the knife out some.
now im just thinking out loud here  I haven't thrown a knife in years except if one cracks during quench.
and knock on wood that don't happen very often any more.
Kevin

if its off balanced then itd be a good idea

Offline Stoker

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 06:44:41 pm »
Bowman - Good idea...But it's too late... I found a beautiful peice of quartersawn birch in the shop and got the brass washers ready... Up to my neck now and going in.... If it turns out tooo nice I may have to build a thrower.. Although they show a beaver tail on google images (Darn you lostarrow) that might be a cool thrower....

Kevin - That's a might be a good plan have to keep that in mind... I'm not a knife thrower but been known to throw a wrench >:D

Steve - Thanks I hope it turns out.. I'm already thinking about the sheath... Can't put the horse befor the cart...

Thanks Leroy