Author Topic: bald eagle sighting!!  (Read 8051 times)

Offline 4dog

bald eagle sighting!!
« on: January 31, 2014, 02:49:42 pm »
first one in almost 6 years,welch park. somerville texas..no pic..was an awesome sight!!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: bald eagle sighting!!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 02:55:24 pm »
i would love to see one some day.

Offline skarhand

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 03:01:04 pm »
I saw several bald eagles perched on old snags while driving back and forth to a job site at the Lassen National Park Head Quarters in 2011. Also a couple over Shasta lake. Keep your eyes peeled, there are not tons, but CA's bald eagle population is on the rise.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 05:38:36 pm »
heck jordo I see them all the time up here , guess they don't like city life :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 05:42:40 pm »
See them all the time here in NW MN. They have gone furthur south for the winter, as all of the lakes have frozen. They will be back come spring....Nice site to see though..
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 06:31:57 pm »
See them often up here in the summer and fall.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 08:20:01 pm »
bout 12 yrs ago we had a mess of eagles at lake somerville...used to watch catch fish..very cool...someone showed me where tje nest was...it was fricken huuuuge..like 15 feet across...watched the eaglets test their wings...then they were just gone didnt see another for about 6 yrs...so im thinkong every 6 yrs they come around...pretty awesome all the way around.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 08:26:46 pm »
NW. Penna. has lots of them, I know where 4 nest are within 12 miles.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 08:28:18 pm »
Seen one on the farm this past summer first one I ever seen here.

Offline Dvankirk58

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 08:46:15 pm »
I have seen some here in Wheeling, WV, and there used to be a nest where I grew up about 30 minutes south of Wheeling.
Thank you,
Dennis Vankirk

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 09:05:43 pm »
We have two down the road there awesome to see :)
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Don Case

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 09:33:52 pm »
bout 12 yrs ago we had a mess of eagles at lake somerville...used to watch catch fish..very cool...someone showed me where tje nest was...it was fricken huuuuge..like 15 feet across...watched the eaglets test their wings...then they were just gone didnt see another for about 6 yrs...so im thinkong every 6 yrs they come around...pretty awesome all the way around.

Where I have been camping for the past 40 years there is a nest that has been occupied every year. Obviously not the same birds.  Of course we have lots of eagles but my point is that if there is enough eagles the nests will almost always have occupants. Once your eagle population builds there will be eagles there every year. There are eagle tree laws in place around here that make it illegal to cut them down. Even on private property. Just recently a guy in town was fined $10,000 for cutting down an eagle tree that was blocking his view. It was on his property. People around here love eagles.
Don

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 09:52:05 pm »
Been seeing quite a few here in Northern Arizona.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 10:09:11 pm »
I've had two sightings along the river in the same spot this past week or so.  Its very cool to see them in the wild. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 10:25:36 pm »
Without a doubt they are the most beautiful of vultures....erm, I mean eagles. 

We get several that hole up here in the Black Hills in the winter months.  Once the lakes start to ice up, they start hanging out in snags overlooking the places people like to ice fish.  I can't tell you how many trout I have lost to them thievin' vult...erm, eagles.  I have had them swing down at high speed and hit the trout so close to me that I could hear the talons rake the ice. 

I have never seen a juvenile bald eagle doing this, they have all been white headed/tailed adults.

I was a kid back in 1972 when they passed the Endangered Species Act.  I remember hoping that I would get to see one before they became extinct.  I see one a week anymore.  Can't help but think that is a good thing.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.