Author Topic: MEDIEVAL WEAPONS & COMBAT: The Longbow  (Read 4928 times)

Offline osage outlaw

MEDIEVAL WEAPONS & COMBAT: The Longbow
« on: January 31, 2014, 05:17:09 pm »
Thought you warbow guys might like this video.  I'm not sure if its been posted before.  It has some video of the Mary Rose bows being pulled out of the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geNG-Ot40W0
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline adb

Re: MEDIEVAL WEAPONS & COMBAT: The Longbow
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 06:34:37 pm »
That video has been around a long time. It's not bad, but far from great. Mike Loades is enthusiastic, but he's a bit of a wanker. He didn't get the important details correct.

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 06:41:34 pm »
I have to agree with Adam.  This video is what got me into archery and specifically warbows, so it has to be commended for its enthusiasm, but I've since learned a whole heap of stuff that doesn't support the things Mike discusses in the vid.  His new book is very much the same.

Cool vid though, certainly gets you in the mood! Thanks for sharing it again!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 06:54:18 pm »
I have zero warbow knowledge so sorry guys.  I did like seeing the part about the Mary Rose finds
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 07:05:31 pm »
No need to apologise dude! It's a good vid and I bet there are some guys on here who haven't seen it yet.

Yeah those bows are quite something! One of the things most people picked up on in the vid is that there's really no evidence to support Chris' theory that the warbows had recurved tips but the bow he makes based on that theory is undeniably beautiful!  He bent that hefty thick yew as if it were soft plastic!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 09:17:42 pm »
No need to apologise dude! It's a good vid and I bet there are some guys on here who haven't seen it yet.

Yeah those bows are quite something! One of the things most people picked up on in the vid is that there's really no evidence to support Chris' theory that the warbows had recurved tips but the bow he makes based on that theory is undeniably beautiful!  He bent that hefty thick yew as if it were soft plastic!

As a random little note, I like making english longbows with slight reflexed tips, whether they are silly or not,  :). If they are reflexed enough, you can tell the difference in the draw, it is a bit more smoother. As many laminates as I make, I wish I would figure a way out to do that with a laminate stave, I guess some kind of "form" or something would be needed during glue up...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline WillS

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 03:42:03 am »
I don't think that's silly at all.  I just don't think the Mary Rose bows had them.  It makes more sense to reflex the tips as you obviously get more snap.  I have a feeling that the Burgundian yew warbows had recurved tips - they're the ones you see in almost all the medieval artworks, and I think they're commonly mistaken for "English longbows" in the drawings (I could be wrong about that.)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 04:40:29 pm »
...As a random little note, I like making english longbows with slight reflexed tips, whether they are silly or not,  :). If they are reflexed enough, you can tell the difference in the draw, it is a bit more smoother. As many laminates as I make, I wish I would figure a way out to do that with a laminate stave, I guess some kind of "form" or something would be needed during glue up...
Its not super hard. BTW you might want to make the belly lam a bit longer- or make the middle lam a tad longer, and the belly lam a tad longer..
Also.... if you cut a form, you can make it any way you want it.
Expect to have to trim 1-2" off the tips when done, if you don't make the lams adjusted in length.
if you do a deflex-recurve, don't worry about adjusting length.
Also, wider limbs work much better with recurves/reflex, as they are exponentially less likely to twist.

Just take a 2x4, and cut it to look like this-
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"