Author Topic: pine needle basket  (Read 8110 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: pine needle basket
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 01:11:40 am »
No tape measure, no digital caliper, or triple-beam scale to make sure they were all the same density?  Please tell me you spine tested each of the individual needles?

I've made a couple little teeny baskets, big enough to each house ONE of your arrowheads and I thought THOSe were a lot of hard work!  Nice neat stitching, wow, a thing of function and beauty all rolled into one.  Thanks for sharing.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 03:54:33 pm »
I think you are in florida is palmetto a option for weaving?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 07:17:00 pm »
I made a split palmetto stem basket. It's work-able but not ideal. Doesnt bend overly well.    the leaves of the palm are way to brittle when dry
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 10:23:28 pm »
here in NE Oklahoma the buckbrush plant looks like this picture...grows in spreading clumps.
Into winter it has red berries...birds seem to ignore them. they crush in your fingers feeling waxy.
always thought they'd make a good lubercant for a fire spindle, but never tried.
the runners or shoots, from 3ft to 6ft, run along the ground  - lighter colored than the main gnarly bush growth in the winter.
their strong and they dry harder than honeysuckle. They do have little knots here and there,but i think it makes a basket look cool.
this is the time to harvest them. I  cut em with a gut hook on my pocketknife close to the ground.
I used to roll them up to dry, till a Seneca/Cayuga basket weaver friend told me its better to bundle them straight
because its much easier to size them...  yep...makes sense!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 11:00:35 pm »
Nope, I've never seen that down here. I have lots of vines around, I am going to make a different one of vines later this week maybe.  I have tons of gallberry shoots also, I bet it would be just as good as willow. I will give it a go too
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 12:15:05 am »
Ryan, the new frond shoots(not the stems) in the spring are more subtle and are used by the basket weavers in Charleston, SC as lashing in their sweetgrass baskets.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 09:27:21 am »
gotcha, thanks for the info.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 09:34:00 am »
Very nice basket,got tons of them where I live,I live in a pine thicket,doubt I would have the patients to do that with the  tho.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 09:54:25 am »
I've made a dozen or so pine neddle baskets over the last few years.I find it's something to do after the sun goes down.I used raffia for the first ones.it's a palm leaf i think.You can use queen palm if you cut it while still in the spike.I like using artificial sinew because you can streach it and make a really tight basket.I've got a few that are almost water tight, alittle bees wax and they could be drinking vessels.Your basket looks great ,keep it up.I thought about a quiver also but that would take a long time and a truck load of needles.
Roger
Venice Florida

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 01:15:50 pm »
Got lots of folks doin pine needle baskets in the west. They even sell a kit in the NDN Museum gift shop. Interestingly enough PN baskets are "new" baskets.  As westward expansion continued and the desire to obtain NDN baskets continued to increase the availability of traditional materials began to decrease due to land ownershipo and changes in land use and management.  Pine needles were in many cases more readily available and became a Neo-traditional use of something long used for other purposes.  In the Sierra Nevada traditionally speaking, men were only permitted to make baskets for taking life like bird traps and fish traps or open weave baskets for hauling stuff. Women made the nicer baskets used for food/medicine storage and preparation.  Learning is a beautiful process - the basket is nice - keep up the good work.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 07:55:38 pm »

So....Where is the lid? ???  What a slacker! :P  So what are you doing on here anyway?!!  You should be soaking more pine needles! ::)  C'mon, lets get that lid made, and decorated, in a star pattern.  Awww quit yer moanin, ya wus, get busy, it probably won't take that much longer than the basket. ;)

Wow, first time pine needle basket?  Sheesh, that is beautiful !! :o  Yes, you need to do a build along! 8)  Now about that lid..... ;D ;D  Oh, after you get through with the lid, you need to try to make a Pomo style basket!!  They were woven so tight, they were water tight, and could be used to hold water, and they used no sealant!  Now there is a challenge to recreate!  Of course I don't know where you would get the grass that they used.  Maybe you could trade Yosemite Ben for some. ;)  Now stop reading this and get on that lid! 8)

Wayne

Offline don't cry wolf

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 11:56:27 pm »
Man that looks good! I gotta learn how to do this and make one sometime