Author Topic: Pine Resin and Charcoal Glue Recipe  (Read 35045 times)

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
Re: Pine Resin and Charcoal Glue Recipe
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 10:59:19 pm »
So I know this is an old thread but I need to make more and want a few more Thoughts in this. I do not have access to Beeswax or live where bears are roaming ;D I also If possible would like to make this from as natural and easy to find resources as possible... The ONLY recipe Ive found Is Pitch, charcoal from hardwood, and dried droppings.. (whether from Rabbit or Deer) The question I have Is I just dropped chopped and Split alot of pine and theres pine sap EVERYWHERE .. So in my intelect I gathered all I could scoop from the split logs and put it in jars. Can i use the sao in anyway for Glue?
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 11:50:01 pm »
IMO, hard brittle pitch makes the best glue. If it is gooy you will have to cook off the terps until it cools hard and brittle. Be very careful cooking pitch because it is very volatile and will combust.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 11:50:31 pm »
I'm reading careful here too,

my last batch of pitch was bad.  cooked on a woodstove in an earthenware bowl. It was full of bark junk , i kept moving the sticky chunks up the sides to let it drip.
I think I added TOO MUCH charcoal and powered roadapple. When heated my glue sticks are still gritty and don't drip. They're hard and shatter like hard gritty gravel!
tried adding beeswax to the mix and it wouldn't seem to mix in no matter how long i mashed it in.

so...I'm listening....
I liked the idea of the two cans, one with the holes on the bottom. Pine is hard to find around this area where Oaks rule.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 12:01:16 am »
Instead of bees wax or bear fat you can use any animal fat(bacon, etc) and probably vegitable oil but I haven't tried that.  The wax or fat makes the brittle pitch less brittle so it doesn't curmble when in use. If your pitch is not hard it will be sticky. The charcoal or plant fiber(dried rabbit or deer poop) or saw dust add body to the pitch glue.
  I first heat the pitch then add the wax. Mix it well and slowly add the filler(charcoal, etc) until it becomes a thick paste. Make a glue stick and see how the glue turned out.
   You can also boil the pitch in water. As it melts the debris like bark, etc will seperate and float to the top for easy removal. A little fine bark and debris will act as the filer to add body. You just don't want big chunks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline iowabow

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 12:36:37 pm »
If folks want i can make a 10 minute video on how I make glue. I could demo what it looks like when you have too much charcoal. Just let me know.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Adam

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 12:39:12 pm »
Iowabow - I think that would be very helpful to me if it's not too much trouble.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 01:14:35 pm »
Its a deal so long as everyone understands this is only one way that works very well for me. There are other ways that the glue can be made. The title of the video will be "dirt strong" lol

Offline richardzane

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 02:16:19 pm »
Iowabow,
thats definitely a video i'll be waiting to see.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 02:25:45 pm »
John, that would be great. I will sticky your video at the top of the page for all to see too.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 10:08:02 am »
I mix it about like Pat said,I drip a little on a piece of paper and let it cool,if it cracks when I bend the paper I add a little more Bees wax or deer tallow,if it is sticky I add a little more hard wood coals [ground up fine] or filler. :) Kind od trial and error in each batch. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 10:12:23 am »
I see this old post has been reopened.
Was cooking out some pine sap Saturday.
If I had the time I would have shown the " three can " process that I use.
It works well...  Takes a bit of time but, once started, will work itself without any help.

Might get a chance to cook some more this coming Saturday.
If I do I will take a few photos and post them here.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline richardzane

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 10:36:06 am »
three can?  I'd like to see that David,

for me, seeing pics of process is always better than words.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 10:55:27 am »
I've heard of a tucan David but never a three can.  ;D

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 11:26:19 am »
You are crazy PatB....  ;D
I guess that is why you and I get along so well.  Bit of a goof ball myself.

Wait until I get a chance to cook out some more pine sap...  Will post some pix then.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline iowabow

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 12:05:02 am »
Isaac and I just made three videos on how to make glue. We demo why it is difficult to get the mix correct. Should have them up in the morning. This was the first time making a video together and it was a lot of fun!