Author Topic: Wood Points & Cushion Target videos  (Read 2021 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Wood Points & Cushion Target videos
« on: February 06, 2014, 01:07:44 am »
I think I finally  got a solid method of mounting wooden field tips.  I've been real pleased with how they performed.  I went ahead and shot a video this morning on how to make them.  The shorter the tip the less likely they are to break.  You'll see that I did manage break some after serious abuse.  I did a lot of shooting with them and I found that for targets it's better to have them a little bit pointier and for just shooting around at random things duller is better but I guess they'll get dull if you're shooting at leaves and sticks anyway.

Also I saw a couch on the side of the road and someone had mentioned shooting stone tipped arrows into couch cushions so I thought I'd give it a shot (: and see how it did so that experience was filmed and the link is below.

CLICK PICTURES TO VIEW VIDEOS
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline lostarrow

Re: Wood Points & Cushion Target videos
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 03:34:42 pm »
Love the enthusiasm with which you are approaching this topic. Very creative. Just thought I might mention , however, the reason they call it stump shooting is ,you are should to be shooting at dead trees or stumps. Less likely to get your arrows stuck , but more importantly, poking holes in live trees will encourage insects and promote rot. Remember, we like trees ! That's  where all the wood comes from.  ;). If you ever did that with a steel field point and left it buried in the tree, you'd have some very upset people ( possibly injured) when the tree was cut, milled, planed  .
         Keep up the experiments, Dave

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 10:10:02 am »
Tim
I think you are getting somewhere now good job
Like Dave said it may not have been a wise choice to shoot at a live tree
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 05:19:41 pm »
Yeah, I was using a softer wood than that oak so I didn't figure it could do much damage to it.  That tree will be fine though.  I didn't figure shooting it would be any worse than cutting a limb off, which happens every couple years.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!