Author Topic: Pacific Yew Warbow  (Read 10910 times)

Offline WillS

Pacific Yew Warbow
« on: February 06, 2014, 09:12:14 am »
Ok, so here's my first attempt at a bow over 100lbs in draw weight.  It's been a bit of an adventure getting this thing finished, and I'm not 100% happy with it even now.  The tiller I think could be better - the bottom limb could probably do with coming round just a bit more, but it's now quite a bit smaller than the other both in width and depth and I'm not convinced taking any more wood off will help.  Somebody mentioned to me that there's a lot of force being pushed through bow limbs at these draw weights, and making one limb too thin is risky so I'm leaving it as it is.  Plus as a few people mentioned with the reflex sitting about 8" from the nock it would be a mistake to try and get it to come round to match the other which is what I was trying to do to start with!

It's worth bearing in mind that the photograph of it on the tiller is not quite how it will appear in the hand.  It's being pulled from dead centre, and the string is hooked dead centre, so the bending point in the hand will be an inch or two lower, making the stiff limb come round a bit more when it's being shot.

I won't be pulling it to 32" on the tiller as I think that's asking for trouble, but it will be shot to 32".  It's just under 110lb at 28" so it will probably be around 125 at 32" which will settle a bit into 120lbs - more or less my goal from the start, although that changed a fair few times!

Anyway. Pics.

Got really lucky with the top nock, it had some beautiful character in it!

I left the cambium on wherever I could, as I love the look of it and I think it lends itself to the appearance of a tool or weapon, as compared to a display piece

This stave had almost no character whatsoever (which is another excuse I can't use for this taking so long and being less than perfect!) but here's about as "crazy" as it gets

Couple of pics of each limb (tricky to take, but you can sort of see the soft reflex that shouldn't have caused me so much trouble but did anyway...

And here's the limb that took the set (around 2" at this point, will probably rise to 3 or so after being shot in a bit)

Here's the unbraced shape - you can see the set it's taken up to where the reflex starts.  The reflex was worse of course when I started but it's softened a bit now.

And here's the brace shape - pretty ugly but that's how it came out...

And of course the tiller at 28"

I'm calling a truce at this stage and I'm just gonna shoot the thing and enjoy it, and use the mistakes and lessons learned to motivate me on to the next, better one.  Thanks to everybody who offered help either in PM or on the main forum - huge amount learned during the making of this, and I can't wait to apply them to the next warbow.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Pacific Yew Warbow
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 09:35:59 am »
That bow looks very good.  Very well done.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 09:46:43 am »
Wow, thanks so much Marc!  Really appreciate that!

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 10:56:20 am »
Good work Will. Wise decision to know when to say when. The right limb, and I'm assuming it's the bottom, is a bit stiff, but it's reflexed so no big deal. It'll probably unfold at full draw a bit more. Go shoot it! Lovely tips, by the way.

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 11:14:55 am »
Thanks Adam.  Without the help on here I don't think I would have known when to call it a day! I'd have kept ploughing through that stiff limb just because it didn't look the same as the other.

Glad the nocks look ok!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 01:43:24 pm »
Don't look bad at all! I say call it a bow, looks great.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 02:20:03 pm »
Good perseverence skills :laugh:
She looks fine... If you think the bow has been a pig to do, you have to ask what the stave thinks of you! >:D
But seriously. Well done, I think it reflects the unstrung shape correctly. :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 02:24:13 pm »
Thanks Del, for your comments and your help!   I don't wanna know what the stave thinks of me, but I'm still convinced it never, ever wanted to become a bow!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 03:29:49 pm »
Looks great to me, Will. I think it's pretty smart to quit while you are ahead.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline WillS

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 03:44:21 pm »
Thanks mate!

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 07:31:43 pm »
dang... nice bow.
good choice to call it,.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline meanewood

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 10:54:05 pm »
Great bow Will
That brace height pic looks perfect for that stave and as you say, that lower limb will come around nicely when pulled by hand!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 11:24:02 pm »
Thanks Del, for your comments and your help!   I don't wanna know what the stave thinks of me, but I'm still convinced it never, ever wanted to become a bow!

Several bows have run me thru the mill as this one did to you.  In each case I came to love those bows deeply and each of them turned out to be good shooters.  Maybe she was playing hard to get to see if you were good enough to wield her. Give her the benefit of the doubt for now...and call her "High Maintanance". 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline WillS

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 03:16:25 am »
I was gonna call her Susan Boyle due to the brace shape, but maybe you're right...

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 12:15:25 pm »
The tiller suits the stave perfectly.  You handled it like a champ :)

Susan Boyle? Don't be so hard on her man!