Author Topic: rose shoot arrows.. finished arrows!!  (Read 34265 times)

Offline sailordad

Re: rose shoot arrows.. finished arrows!!
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2008, 11:10:53 pm »
ooh i think that might be a no no here in the u.s.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2008, 11:15:30 pm »
My guess is that it'd be more of a legality issue.   
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

avraham

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2008, 11:47:29 pm »
The best way to get them.....if it is legal to possess them, would be to get them from a raptor recovery center or perhaps a falconer.  I dont even know if they molt flight feathers.

avraham

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2008, 11:51:51 pm »
did a quick search and found out the possesion of ANY migratory bird or raptor feather is a strict no-no unless you  have the necessary permits....whatever they are.  So owl feathers are out of the question unless you are a licensed falconer.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2008, 01:32:09 am »

Avaram, it is definitely a no no to even possess them, unless you have some sort of tribal paper saying how and why you have them.  Better check with your local game commission first, then if you can possess them, check with the raptor groups, or road kills.
But there are so many other types of feathers out there to use.  Even chicken feathers, crow, raven, but I am not sure if you can possess raven feathers either.  Like I said, check with your local game commission, but most any feather should be fine.  Some are just better than others, but use what you have. Know anyone with peacocks?  the wing feathers are great.   Owl feathers are softer, so maybe they would be quieter......stealth arrow......

Wayne.  ;D

avraham

« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2008, 02:26:30 am »
yup, just K.I.S.S.  I have only had one day to paruse this site and allready hatching plans for a bow, glass arrowheads, rose shoot arrows, and a skill saw blade knife.  I dont see any reason I cant make my metal tools out of a skill saw blade.  Soften up that blade overnight and it should be soft enough to make my own rasp!  Anyone know if Mountain Ash would be a suitable wood for a bow?  How about tamarak(Hackmatack).  What about purple heart?  I might even make a set of kitchen knives for my wife if I get good enough.  Henkels are too expensive.  Why dont I see anything about people growing their own blanks? Oh, Norwiegen Maples for bows?  Why dont people use stone for bow tips?  Give me a couple of hours and I might remember the questions I forgot!