Author Topic: $5.50 Lowes Red Oak Bow Build in Pictures  (Read 8806 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
$5.50 Lowes Red Oak Bow Build in Pictures
« on: February 14, 2014, 12:59:21 pm »
I recently completed this red oak bow from a board at Lowes for $5.50 cents.  Two guys at my sportsman club are interested in making bows and I did it as an example for them.  The bow is 44 @ 28; 68'' tip to tip.  Extra cost may include the boards for the handle and the cotton backing, both of which are optional.  I think this is a great way for a beginner to start!

Note the handle pic is deceiving as the ruler is lower than the bow.  Actual measurements are 2'' for fades and 4'' for handle.  handle is 1 1/4 in middle and 1 1/8 on sides. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:11:34 pm by PAHunter »
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline PAHunter

Re: $5.50 Lowes Red Oak Bow Build in Pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 01:02:38 pm »
The handle wood was glued on with TB II or III and clamped overnight.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 01:04:32 pm »
I'm home alone and can't take a draw selfie, so the last braced picture is my DL.  Note one limb twists a bit as you draw.  Let me know if you have suggestions for fixing that problem.  The limb thickness left to right look even.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:13:17 pm by PAHunter »
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 01:43:40 pm »
Nice build along. I'm sure your friends will enjoy it.
 If the limb twists as you draw the bow one side of that limb is thicker(stiffer) than the other. Place the edge of the limb between your thumb and fingers and move along the limb. You can feel the thickness change. Now work your hand across the limb and you should feel the difference in thickness from one side to the other. Reduce the thickness from the stiff(thick) side and the twist should disappear.
 If you have a tiller gizmo you can run the gizmo down each side of the limb and it will leave a pencil mark where you should remove wood to straighten out the limb twist.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 02:15:47 pm »
Cant beat that with an oak board! 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 02:26:22 pm »
Good looking g bow there rob

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 02:52:56 pm »
Nice work man.  That one looks like an accurate shooter.  Great job :)

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 02:59:31 pm »
Looks good there Rob.... where'd ya find the snakeskin print fabric at?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 03:12:23 pm »
Nicely done Sir!  I was wondering how those backers looked in that pattern.  I believe I'll have to get a few of those.  Josh

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 04:59:38 pm »
thanks guys, I appreciate it!  Those are the 3 rivers archery cotton snakeskin backing.  They look great but are overpriced at 30 something for one bow.  I found this Safari Snakeskin pattern cloth you can buy online.  I ordered 2 yards of it for $20 or something; should do a bunch of bows.  I'm waiting for it to show up in the mail.  I will say the 3 rivers ones do look very nice.  after some tru-oil they look real.  Guys at my club couldn't tell the difference unless they looked close at the edges. 

I built this bow for something lighter to work on my shooting.  I kill about 4 deer a year with modern equipment now but I'm putting that on hold to focus all my energy on my first selfbow deer or elk kill.  Wish me luck!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline logan6742

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 11:40:29 pm »
Wow, the things you can do with a simple board of red oak. I want to get started in making bows, and I have a few questions. First thing, what are the dimensions of the board? I want to do something similar and want a board the same size. And second, what are the two woods you used for the handle?

Offline Pago

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 08:08:00 am »
That worked out pretty nice, I dig it.  Well done sir

Offline brettd

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 10:58:55 am »
Very nice looking!  Just made some Red Oak HDepot bows myself (my first) and couldn't be happier.  I would echo that this is a great wood for a beginner. On the down side, one of mine twisted badly and I had to trash it - is Red Oak unusually susceptible to this?  The other three shoot fine tho.  Mine are ELB's backed with Hickory or Maple (25, 35, 50 pds).  I find that red oak is almot too easy to work, you can cut through it so fast with a rasp that it is easy to make mistakes.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 11:20:44 am »
Nice bow!  My last board bow was red oak and done very simply.  Pick a good board and they work great.
George