Author Topic: Stripping feathers  (Read 6558 times)

Don Case

Stripping feathers
« on: February 17, 2014, 04:33:25 pm »
I've seen some pull the vane off the shaft and others split and sand the shaft. Is one better than the other or is it different strokes for different folks?

Offline Scottski

Re: Stripping feathers
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 05:43:17 pm »
I have done both and striping them to me leaves them a lil flimsie. That my opinion anyway. I like cutting them down the middle and sanding them down better.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 05:55:07 pm »
The ones I buy are stripped...The ones I make are cut and sanded..They both seem to work fine, you just have to treat them a little different when fletching an arrow...I can tell by feel if it is a good fletch or not...Character of the feather..ie stiffness, condition...all that good stuff..
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 06:20:46 pm »
I prefer to grind feathers rather than strip them. Like Scottski, stripped feathers seem a bit flimsy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 07:12:09 pm »
I actually prefer a stripped turkey#1  primary over a split and ground. I have tried to duplicate that trying to strip goose feathers but have had no luck. The goose feathers don't want to separate intact from the quill.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 08:05:12 pm »
I prefer to grind feathers rather than strip them. Like Scottski, stripped feathers seem a bit flimsy.

Same here.  I cut them and hit them on a belt sander for a few seconds.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 09:28:55 pm »
 Depends on the application. I prefer to use stripped on shoot shafts that I'm going to bind up the whole feather with thread or such and no glue.They sit flatter on an irregular shaft.
    On the other hand the split and sanded work better if you are gluing on a machined shaft. JMHO. Try them both and see what works better in your situation. ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 11:21:23 pm »
I've seen some pull the vane off the shaft and others split and sand the shaft. Is one better than the other or is it different strokes for different folks?

Well, of course they seem flimsy. Once they are glued to the arrow shaft, they are as sturdy as the arrow shaft makes them!

I find the stripping to be faster by several orders of magnitude.  PLUS, the front of the quill is flush to the shaft and little transition from shaft to fletch, much less chance for the feather to get peeled off the shaft.  But it takes a little more practice than cutting and grinding.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 11:25:06 pm »
Maybe I need to try more stripping.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 11:47:21 pm »
Scottski :laugh:I try not to strip in public but at home it is my preferable method.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 12:10:13 am »
Uh-oh!  I thought this was a family friendly forum!   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 02:02:56 am »
 :laugh:JW/ Please note: No pictures ;D

Offline Buck67

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 07:53:21 pm »
Turkey feathers strip easily if they have been soaked.  They may or may not strip cleanly if dry.  I have done it both ways and prefer the stripping method over the sanding method.  You may have to trim off excess feather base if it is a big feather, but I use scissors and it is easy enough.  I have fastened the fletching on with hot hide glue or fletching tape with equal success.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 10:42:13 pm »
:laugh:JW/ Please note: No pictures ;D

Thanks ,Fred! from all of us :o ;D

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 10:43:06 pm »
Some strip , some grind, some do both.....................I don't judge :)