Author Topic: Found a place to get stone  (Read 4103 times)

Offline Poggins

Found a place to get stone
« on: July 07, 2014, 06:05:56 pm »
Went up to Kaw lake this weekend with some a friend and my brother .
Met one of my buddies from our Selfbow club there that showed us a couple places to go noodling .
One if these places has vines of chert or flint in the rock , Jason told me it wasn't the good stuff and if I would come back later he would take me to a place where I could get some better .
I told him that what was there would be good for practicing on and use it to heat treat till I figured out how to do it right , still I saw plenty that would be good enough to use if you spalled it out right , filled my pockets up once but with the high water and no boat with us I emptied my pockets all but this one peace .
What do you all think , there are some local sights around the lake where it was worked before and it turns pink when heat treated , folks look behind the dam all the time for arrowheads , and one place we stopped at had flakes in the gravel bar that had washed down the bank .

Offline Dalton Knapper

Re: Found a place to get stone
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 06:23:39 pm »
So Kaw Lake (I had to Google it) is in OK not far from Ponca City and is in Kay County (NE OK). What you have there is Kay County Chert, sometimes called Florence A Chert and it looks like good stuff. It does generally turn pink when heat treated. It can be really nice rock to knap. Load up on it! Those little circles in it are fossils called fusulinds and one way to ID the 290 million year old Kay Co Chert.

By the way, I am glad you emptied your pockets. Diving down in the water with pockets full of rocks might not be a very wise idea!

Just for fun - http://www.ou.edu/cas/archsur/flash/Florence/florence.htm

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:24:19 pm »
Looks good to me, what state is it found?

Glad you found some good rock.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 07:06:21 pm »
Nice score there Billy. Check all the ditches on the dirt roads in the area. Especially after a grader has gone through. Heats real good at 585 degrees.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 07:36:32 pm »
Thanks guys , new there was some rock around just needed to find it .
If things fall into place I'm going on a bear hunt in Canada next year with some our club's members and would like to get at least a couple of points knocked out for that hunt , I will be going back ( maybe when it cools off a little , heat index was 104 earlier today ) and this time I will take my kayak down to the spot where I got this peace , I will try and get a couple hundred pounds there ( yes there was that much laying along the bank and in the rock) of this and then go up to the other spot and get some better quality rock , that way I can beat around and heat on the lesser quality before I get to the good stuff .
The crew that was with me isn't interested in rock or bow wood , they were looking for catfish , when I got to this place my mind switched off fishing and onto knapping rock .

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 01:23:07 am »
Sounds like you have your priorities in the right spot. Good looking stuff !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 08:45:30 am »
Looks like good stuff to me! Yep, load up on it while you can..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline beartail

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 10:18:43 pm »
wow,cool. every time I see where someone can just pick up flint all day long I get nauseous.it sucks living in nc.only thing here is stupid glass! better thank the lord for your good fortune!! hope you enjoy it bro.congrats.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 10:25:00 am »
Was planning on going back this weekend but heavy rains put a damper on that .

Offline Deerhunter

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 10:53:07 pm »
Going up there August 12th to drop my son off for his first year of college, might have to drive on up there and take a look around and see if I can find some to play with.
Alan