Author Topic: are numb finger tips the norm?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

are numb finger tips the norm?
« on: February 17, 2014, 06:45:31 pm »
I use small hammer stones and antlers for making my points. I have found that the tips of my ring finger and middle finger are getting a feel of being numb from being hit while striking with hammer stone & my fingers on or over the edge of rock. My question is, am I doing this wrong or is this normal to have your finger tips feel this way? I've only ever seen this done here on the computer, never in real life. 
I hope I explained this correctly. Thank you for taking the time to look and any feedback is appreciated. Ed 
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: are numb finger tips the norm?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:56:06 pm »
it is for me, first they hurt then theyre numb.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 07:06:55 pm »
Thank you Bowman53, I'll keep making gravel like I'm doing. I just don't want too many bad habits as I have enough of them as is.  >:D ::) >:D Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 07:12:55 pm »
I haven't broke rock for a few months, but as I remember callouses and numb digits is normal for me Ed. :D palm on my holding hand gets numb as well pressure flaking.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 12:10:53 pm »
If y'all are experiencing numbness of any kind then there are issues somewhere else. I have not had any of that when I knap. You might try giving it a rest and icing the forearm. Numbness is usually a sign of a pinched nerve somewhere in your neck but you can alleviate it by doing some stretches and using ice to reduce inflammation. Carpal Tunnel can cause the numbness as well. If you have/had jobs where you used a lot of fine motor control skills that were repetitive then that may be the culprit. If there are greater concerns see a masseuse or chiropractor. Try yoga! Our local football team took it up and saw reductions in the number of game time injuries.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 11:02:11 am »
Thanks Ben, I have stopped for a few days and I think its more calluses on the tips of my fingers and not a nerve issue I'm happy to say.  :) Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,