Author Topic: crow  (Read 15556 times)

Offline stiknstring

Re: crow
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 03:59:14 pm »
I think I would just slug down that good merlot and THEN try to figure out what to do with the crow.....hmmmmmmmm

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 05:54:06 pm »
The last batch of wine I made was almost twenty gallons, so I can afford to use some to marinate with.

wvfknapper

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 09:13:22 pm »
Yep, Chicken!! Everything tastes like Chicken  ;)

wvflintknapper

CastIron

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 11:28:00 pm »
If you can shoot with a Gillie suit on it will help be sure to wear the head gear as it completes the job of eliminates the outline they seem to pick this up 1st I have had good shoots sitting in a open shelled soybean field with just a owl decoy and a mouth call this was with a shotgun and they were flying.
But the Gillie suit should still help with a ground blind also sure would be quieter than a 12GA.

They taste more like liver but if you soak them well and drain the water often they can be marinated with soy and canola oil and a small amount of sesame oil (a drop or so) and crushed black pepper maybe a little orange juice and they will grill OK.
I have also cooked them in a sweet & sour recipe in the dutchoven also,   it ain't venison Backstrap but as I see it if you shoot it you should eat it.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 11:28:58 pm »
im not much into camo. i probbly wear a camo shirt but for pants maybe a brown or black pants.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 12:07:45 am »
That sounds purty tasty Grant :), I've heard of eatin crow before and have thought of trying it, but have yet to get one - their sneaky little bidder's of bad tiding's ;D. Think if I was to get serious about it - I'd head out with camo and a 22 mag and wouldn't expect more that one crow per shootin :)..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 01:26:14 pm »
If you ant much on camo ,you will have to something to cover yourself,cause them buggers can see like you wouldn't believe.No cover ,no camo and I am with Ryan,good luck with that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Jess Prater

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 04:45:20 pm »
When I got my crow, it was with a 264 Winchester Magnum at about 280 yards.  The crosshairs of the scope completely covered him up.  I was accused of using luck to kill that crow.  Maybe it was luck.  It was in my father in laws pecan orchard.  He had me hang him up in a tree to keep his brethren out of the pecans.  If I hunted them again, I would find a way to eat them.  I agree that there should be a good reason to kill anything.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 06:06:39 pm »
We shoot lots of crows, with shotguns.  ;) You want a challenge, try shooting them out of the air with a rifle.  ;D You don't hit many, but it sure is fun.  On the occasion that you do hit one you have stories to tell. 
If you put on some camo and use rabbit distress calls you can get them into range fairly often. They have an amazing ability to get out of the way of arrows.  >:( Come to think of it, I think Eddie is part crow.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

wvfknapper

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 07:26:17 pm »
You could always get under a fabric blind until they come in.

Jess

I agree,, I was raised that if ya ain't gonna eat it , then don't kill it just to be killing something,,, Even as a kid 6-7 yrs old, we would hunt ground squirrels with our pellet rifles and bring them home and Dad would help us skin them and fry them up  :) Never did shoot the birds.............I have ate most all types of animal from WV except crow, fox and bobcat, would try crow or cat  but ain't eating no fox,, anyone every try Fox?

wvflintknapper

Offline uwe

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 02:40:21 pm »
I remember a film in german TV. An old German, living in what is now Russia, still had the knowledge to catch crows with a special trap.
He even said its a great challenge to get them.
He had a big net with a steelwirearound divided in the  middle lying flat with a cadaver in the middle. When the crows came the 2 halfs of the net sprung together by a feather mechanism, manual or automatically I don`t remember.Thats what I can say about this.
Don`t know if it may be of interest, but you see there are ways and you will have a giveb way.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2008, 01:03:48 am »
flintknapper i have eaten fox before. to be truthful wasnt great but not terrible. im pretty simple about things. I just cut off some backstrap and fried it on the skillet in butter. i could have cooked it better.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 06:48:11 pm »
Interesting thread....wouldn't hunt crows unless they were good eatin'.  Never tried it.

Seems to me you could bait crows in a similar way to baiting deer (with an automatic feeder)....if it's legal in your area.  Or you could just sit down and start knappin'...or eat a sandwich.  Them buggers are curious.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline uwe

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2008, 03:16:21 pm »
May be this helps... www.kirchner-raddestorf.de/jagd/hege/bau.htm
Then scroll to "Fallen" and look for "Krähenfang". You`ll find a detailled text , sorry in german, but the drawings make it clear.
Regards
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 03:22:44 pm by uwe »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2008, 04:29:36 pm »
UWE,

Is that a crow trap?  Do you cover the frame with chicken wire (or something)?  How do the crows enter? Please translate........ :-\
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr