Author Topic: need help id'ing this tree  (Read 4461 times)

Offline dbb

Re: need help id'ing this tree
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 07:58:14 am »
Looks like the Mountain Ash I have growing in My front yard,,,
Its not mountain ash,the bark is similar but the leaves are wrong
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 09:16:14 am »
Leaves and bark look like prunus for sure.  Just going to be difficult to determine what species as it looks like a landscaping tree meaning it could be any number of horticultural varieties of any number of prunus species.  Should make a bow. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 09:52:07 am »
This tree is growing on the side of a landscaped bank in my front yard, and I honestly don't know how it got there.  It's also in central Alabama.  I have 2 of them, this one is the larger of the 2, and due to some BS home association rules the fact that these trees are growing in a landscaped "common area" means they have to be cut.  If I have to cut the tree, I wanted to know what I could do with it, in particular if I could make a bow out of it.  This tree is about 5" or 6" in diameter at the base and about 20 feet tall, I can see at least 8 staves out of it so I will at least put it to good use.

I read somewhere that you should de-crown cherry and then back it with a light backing.  Think rawhide would do the trick here?  Honestly what I remember of cherry I would like to show the wood, but I don't want it blowing up on me either.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 10:02:22 am »
The first is choke cherry in my back yard

The second is black cherry I cut
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 10:04:38 am »
The choke cherry grows like a weed almost around here. I have like 100s of small saplings around my house

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 10:43:26 am »
Has anyone ever thought about a tree id section to PA.  it would be a very valued resource.  I am going to do a lot if research this summer on the local trees in my parts.  There are some orchards around here from the early 1900s and I want to know more. 

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 11:44:07 am »
awesome timing on this, I sent a similiar pic to a few guys on here asking for help to to id the tree..

I have a lot of growing at my parents place, it ranges in size from sapling to 8-10" dia.  Since i suck at tree id, i thought it was buckthorn, but with the size and no thorns i ruled that out. Based off pics i could find on the internet i thought it was wild black cherry..

I'll see if i can post my pic, no leaves they are under about 2' of snow!
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 11:57:57 am »
My second pic is black cherry. Though it has saw dust covering it.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 03:14:52 pm »
Looks like a choke cherry to me...

OneBow

Offline okie64

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 10:19:48 am »
Cant say ive ever seen a chokecherry in the wild but black cherry has bark like yours when it is young. As they get bigger and older you cam see the scaly bark start developing from the ground up. It usually starts getting the scaly bark when its about 8" diameter at the base. I have lots of them around my house so I'll try to post a pic of one in the transition stage later today.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2014, 11:29:26 am »
The black cherry I posted a pick of was a 4" tree.