Author Topic: Primitive Shaving  (Read 20456 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Primitive Shaving
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 10:46:35 pm »
Yep, their'll be cat's in the next pic ;D ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

a finnish native

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 08:20:26 pm »
hate to ruin everyones fun, but primitive people did shave. in central northern europe (denmark, germany etc) people were sacrificed and buried to swamps and quite a few bodies have been found well remained due to the oxygen free conditions of the swamp/bog. most of the male bodies show a growing beard that had been shaved a few days before. this indicating that men shaved, but stopped because they knew they were going to die in a short amount of time. This happend during the iron age so that was like 1500-1000 years ago. not exactly cave men, but anyway..  ::)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 08:28:26 pm »
Actually I believe I read somewhere that hair and fingernails continue to grow after death for a short time.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 10:12:21 pm »
I sen and heard on the Dicovery channel( i think it was) that primitive man shaved for the fact that it didn't trap moisture to the skin and helped to keep the face from getting frozen. whiskers (people like to think keep you warm) can actually make your face colder by trapping perspiration close to the skin.
and i believe that hair and nails don't keep growing after death,it just appears that way due to the skin shrinking due to loss of moisture,which actually tightens the skin up. but I may be wrong,wouldn't be the first time and damn sure wont be the last time.   

peace
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Beleg813

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 07:06:56 pm »
You are correct Sailordad--I was about to post the exact same thing you did!

PatB--that is coolest beard ever...I'm jealous!  >:(

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 01:23:32 am »
I've had it almost 40 years. :o       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 11:29:59 am »
Some of you don't know Pat's real identity. He has actually made quite a bit of money over the years with that 'lil beard from Texas.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 12:30:43 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 12:04:23 pm »
I think I saw him in concert about 30 years ago ;D He rocked man ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 01:44:30 pm »
I wanna see that guitar spin a little ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline david w.

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 12:24:13 am »
I just spewd soda all over the computer screen. lol ;D
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 02:43:56 am »
 I tell ya, those guys were slow learners. It took forever before I could let them out on their own. Glad they made something of themselves. ;D 8)

First time Chris Cade met me, I was wearing that shirt...at the Southeastern Trad Championships at Elberton, GA...and I still have it.       
       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline John K

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 11:39:13 am »
To funny ! I new looked familiar Pat  :o
The only way to fail is to never start !

gene roberts

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 08:44:19 pm »
Sweet beard

duffontap

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 02:18:31 am »
Established primitive cultures--generalization coming--seem to be obsessed with grooming and appearance.  Some clean-cut, others looking like they work at the local tattoo and piercing parlor.  Sometimes adherence to grooming customs seemed of critical importance.  When Ishi snubbed fellow Yana, Kroeber offers the explanation of Ishi's culturally-imbued disgust for facial hair.  Ishi carefully plucked his wiskers. 

My archeology prof in jr. college told me that you can still get an authentic obsidian shave in barber shops south of the US border.  Two bits.   :)

J. D.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 04:42:16 am by J. D. Duff »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 05:35:40 pm »
How do you shave without a mirror?  And if you can show me you can pluck anything with a pair of clamshells, I'd be impressed.

I can just see Joe Caveman leaning over a calm puddle of water (looking at his reflection) trying to pluck out whiskers with a clamshell....and then along comes Mega Caveman Terminator, stomps the puddle all over Joe, and says, "Girly Man!"

Seriously, I think shaving was all about the women.  If you were married, you shaved.  Or is it, if you shaved, you had a better chance of getting married?
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr